Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oils: Mineral vs Semi-Synthetic vs Fully Synthetic

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Djamba, Jun 7, 2013.

1. So of course the guy at Repco advised me that Fully Synthetic (i.e. the most expensive) oil is by far the best for a bike but I was wondering what you all think....

Also is there really a difference between Castrol Magnatec, Edge, Helix Ultra, Etc, Etc, Etc....

Is it worth spending $100 instead of $50 if I am planning on changing the oil every 4000Kms?

2. For a motorbike your choices are bike specific mineral oil, or fully synthetic oil.

You will find that fully synthetic oil at car shops is actually cheaper than bike specific mineral oils. I use the fully synth, because I believe it to be better and the fact it's cheaper makes it a bonus.

Some will tell you that they get away with semi synth and car mineral oil, but that is bike specific.

Also, do a search on this forum. This topic has been discussed heaps.

3. Oh and any fully synth, of the correct grade, will do. Brand doesn't mean much. $50-70 for 5 or 6 litres is about normal.

4. It makes little difference as long as it complies with the specs laid down in your owners manual.

5. http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/

Interesting is Question 22 as it applies to us

Is it safe to use SynPower in a motorcycle with a wet clutch?

No. Valvoline SynPower oils are not approved for use with a wet clutch.

They haven't approved synthetic oil for use in motorcycles with a wet clutch. So how does that effect us?

Question 23 says their oil is compatible with other brands of oil so is any synthetic oil suitable for wet clutches?

Question 4

Is it ok to switch back and forth between regular and synthetic motor oil? I heard this causes leaks? Is this true?

Switching between synthetic and conventional oil does not cause problems. Because the oils are compatible, you can switch back and forth as often as you like.

Question 5

Can you mix different types of motor oil? For example, synthetic and synthetic blend or regular and synthetic? Is this going to cause problems?

Mixing synthetic and conventional oils will not cause any problems. The oils are compatible with each other.

6. I know my old GT-650 used to carry on like a pork chop if I put synthetic in her, used to make the clutch like a... very slippy thing. Ended up putting a Motul ( I think ) Semi synth in and she was happy.

7. #7 mike8863, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    @ the OP ....all the oils you have mentioned are CAR oils with additives that make them unsuitable for motorcycle ( with a wet clutch ) use...

As your motorcycle ( Hyodung 650 ) is not the pinnacle of high performance motorcycle engineering, any QUALITY mineral/ semi synthetic / full synthetic oil of the correct viscosity range made for motorcycle use will do.

As important is changing the oil filter regularly.

If you need to cheap it out, some of the diesel oils are suitable for use in motorcycles as well ..quick search on NR will find a mountain of information on this subject.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Refer to your bikes manual. It will tell you what the manufacturer recommends. Now I'm only guessing here, but I figure they'd know what is best for the bike they built.

9. All of the owners manuals I've seen either list the brand they've done a deal with for original supply and/or give pretty vague grade reference and/or are written around European, Asia and North American climates.

10. This is the first I've ever heard of a clutch slipping on fully synth. I've only ever heard of clutch slippage on semi-syth and car grade mineral oils.

11. All the ones I've seen (which admittedly aren't many) have a graph that shows you which viscosity to use for the temp range you're operating in with a reference to whether mineral or synthetic should be used.

12. I use 100% mineral when running in a new engine up to the 1000K service only. This is of little use you probably over the 1000K mark.

13. Think I still have the old service book at home somewhere will have to double check last thing I want to do is give somebody a bum steer, it is possible that memory is playing tricks on my as it has been quite a few years.

14. Whether synthetic or mineral, just use 10W/40 according to your bike's manual (page 15):

Screen Shot 2013-06-07 at 1.01.04 PM.

15. Clutch slip on full synth was probably car oil synth that included friction modifiers... friction modifiers are something you do not want in a motorcycle wet clutch set up.

There's a famous website, linked many times, covering all you ever need to know about oils and specifically motorcycle oils. I can't be bothered searching, but you will be rewarded if you find it... and the oil controversy thread is well worth the read.

16. Service Manual simply said 10w/40 SAE. Am now using Royal Purple Fully Synthetic. She is purring like a evil kitten now. ;-)

Also helps I have replaced the inner clutch cover. It looked like this:
    [​IMG]

17. seriously another oil thread ?
    guess i cant blame you , might as well.

18. What about bikes with dry clutches? Could one run car oils in those?

19. Doesn't matter about the italian bikes....most will never need an oil change....they never get further than the local latte' joint....

sorry, couldn't help myself

• Like Like x 1
  20. yes I run fully synthetic car oil in my bmw without issue