Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil Volume compared to water

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Unconnected, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Hi,

I accidently overfilled my bike with oil.

I went out and bought a big jug thing, put it on some accurate scales and tared it, then marked out the three oil levels my bike needs 2.4 (oil changed but not filter) 2.6 (filter and oil) 3.1( engine rebuild)

By filling it with water until it weighed 2400 grams, 2600 grams and so on.

This is because 1gram of water = 1cc of water = 1ml of water

But does 1cc = 1cc of oil?

I know oil weighs more, but im asking if it takes up more space.

I know this might be a simple question, but i want to make sure i get this right.
  2. Are you asking if 2.6L of water = 2.6L of oil? If so I'm pretty sure it is. Litre is a unit of volume so it shouldn't be matter what is the content of the volume.
  3. Last time I measured a litre of water, it weighed 900 grams, why didn't you mark the jug with 2.4 litre, 2.6 litre, etc? Grab a litre measuring jug with increments of 100ml from the kitchen to mark the points.

By putting in what you thought was 2.6 litres, it looks like you've put in about 250ml too much.
  4. Volume of a liquid is the same, water or oil. But oil is lighter than water. measure by volume, not weight. There are plenty of plastic kitchen measure jugs around that would allow you to measure the oil for your bike.
  5. See if you can find the Specific Gravity (SG) of the oil you're using. The company website should have the info, either in the general stuff, or otherwise in the MSDS (Material Safety Date Sheet).

Then work out the weight to volume - eg. SG of 1.5 = 1.5 grams per cc/ml or 1.5 kilo per litre.

Sounds like you're mixing up your units. Cubic centimetre (cc, same as a millilitre - ml) is volume. 1 cc takes the same space no matter what it is. How much the volume fills where you're pouring it is what matters.

So anyhow, it's the volume of oil or water you need to measure, so I don't see much point in measuring the weights then having to do conversions, unless you want to be really accurate and can do that better with scales.
  6. The density of distilled water at sea level is close enough to 1kg/l or 1 tonne / cubic metre.

If you weighed 2.4kg of water then you have 2.4l (even without distilled water it will be close enough as long as the water isn't "warm").

Oil has a lower density so at the same volume it weighs less. (different oils have different densities)
    But 2.4l of oil takes up the same volume as 2.4l of water (as litre is a measure of volume)

Short answer, you're correct.
  7. Then either your jug or scales is really inaccurate. It's common for water to be heavier than 1g/cc, but very unusual to be less.

To the OP I wouldn't trust any measuring device cheaply available to the general public. Fill the bike with an amount that is close (ie 1-200ml or so less than what it should need), then top up to the required level based on the bike's sight glass/dipstick. There's always some oil left behind in the engine, so it'll never need the full amount set out in the manual.
  8. lol thats like asking whether one ton of feathers weighs more than a ton of rocks :p

What I think you're really trying to ask is whether the volume of oil will expand when subjected to temperature and by how much, right?
  9. the reason i didnt use a measuring jug is because i went to: Repco, woolworths, bunnings and howards storage world (wtf that is) and none of them had a measuring jug that was accurate enough for me but also big enough to hold 2.4>

So i made it more accurate myself, hence the weights and conversons, because i was doing it with water, in a sealed container and the lines were a certain way up the jug, i was worried that by using water, if oil took up more room per ML it would sit further up the jug resulting in an incorrect measurement.

I did the change and its all good now, dipstick has an oil drop on the bottom line and oil up the dipstick but stopping before the second marker line. Before the change i had oil sitting on both lines. So i think its got the right amount now.
  10. I've found the volume markings on the oil bottle itself to be good enough to get within at least 100ml.
  11. Yes 1 cc of oil is 1 cc of water
  12. Why make it all so difficult ? Drop the old oil out and Change the filter, put roughly 2ltrs of oil in .... Start engine , wait till oil light goes out [ oil filter is now full ] , stop engine then top up till the oil shows correct on sight glass.

It's not rocket science, no engine will take on a refill what the 'book' says unless you have had it apart and cleaned out all the gallery's etc, sometimes a little more sometimes less.

We use a bloody watering can at work for oil fills, quick and easy and when we know we must be getting close the 'factory fitted dipstick' helps for final 500ml or so !
  13. I'm lucky.
    The Z takes 3.98L of oil with a filter change.
    New filter & dump the whole 4L bottle in! (y) :rofl:

14. OMG OMG OMGawd that means you have overfilled it by 0.02mls by the book,
    Careful it could over-pressurize and blow out a seal.

:rofl: :bolt:
  15. Wow you made a simple oil change into a scientific study.

1cc does equal 1ml. Hence a 1000cc engine = 1L engine. Therefore the VOLUME of oil that you now have poured in your jug up to the line you marked (2.4L), is the same as the water volume you measured to be 2400g in weight.
  16. Just don't tip the oil down the sink and fill the crankcase with water... that'd screw the pooch.

Oh yes, and do remember to put the sump plug back in before refilling; as often as it happens and as funny as it is, it's a bloody expensive trick and moreso for fully synth oils.
  17. Get a 1 litre jug. Measure 1 litre, put it in the engine, measure a second litre, put it in the engine, measure out the remaining 400 ml and put it in the engine. You won't get 100 ml increments on the bigger jugs, they have 500 ml and 1 litre increments only. More suited to cars and other large engines.
  18. Omg
    Just grab a fkn plastic jug n stop being a wank
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Yeah as for the valve damage shit, how bad is it to do this? i had the oil in like this for about a week, i know....i know. But hey it said 2.6 and i poured as close to 2.6 in as i could using the motul jug. Perhaps i put in about 2.7-2.8, you guys reckon i could have thrown out my valves, engine does not seem as sweet as it used to be.
  20. if you want the engine to taste sweet use extra virgin
    • Like Like x 1