Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil Review - Anglmoil, Roadmaster 500

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by ibast, Oct 6, 2005.

1. I picked this oil up at my local car part place (Pep’s).

It's a fully synthetic 10W-50 grade oil.

The standard specification for oil on my bike is 10W-40. This would be fine for the US, of Europe, but I don't think it's heavy enough for Australia, especially considering the bike is air/oil cooled and the oil does a fair bit of work. This may be a bit of overkill in winter, but is sound theory in summer.

The retail price was about $40 for 5 litres. This places is between the cheaper car oil and the bike specific oil and more expensive car oils.

It’s hard to judge the effect oil has on an engine, even over the long term, but indications are it’s not bad stuff.

The bike was noticeably quieter after first putting the oil in. I did forget to change the filter when I first put it in, so it ran for about 500km in the old filter.

The result of this is that the oil would become slightly dirtier then it normally would, for a given distance, because it would be contaminated by the extra old oil in the bike.

Despite this, when I dropped the oil at 3000km, it was still quite serviceable. It still retained some of its clearness and was really still quite viscous.

I would feel comfortable leaving this in the bike for another 2000km. i.e. 5000 km oil changes. It should be good for all air and air/oil cooled bikes.

So if you are looking for an alternative to the oils available at your local bike shop, give this a bash.

Oh and it comes in a tin, like your dad used to get oil in.