Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil pouring out of case - Virago

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by PV, Oct 8, 2007.

1. I changed the oil and oil filter and now oil is pouring out of what looks to me like a relief valve on the right side at about a litre a minute.
    The exit is from here:
    (sorry, I don't have image posting privileges)
    I'm pretty sure the filter is the right way around. Is that hole a pressure relief? Is it actually a valve that may be stuck open? I may have put too much oil in and popped the 20 year old valve which then stuck open...?

2. Hello PV ...and welcome :wink:
    Netrider is not a mechanics website or a bikesales one
    We are a bunch of retards who love riding and talk about it.
    If you would like to join us, a good start would be to post first at the Welcome Lounge:
    tell us a bit about yourself ( whats your connections with MQ!!)
    and then post here. That way you will get more answers to your question.. :grin:
    Good luck with your oil prob.

PS: You might want to have a look at typhoon's post "Tips to help us, help you" https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40457
  3. I suppose my post does look a bit technical. But really I'd just be happy to have someone identify what that hole is. It doesn't get a mention in the manual, and I can't Google something that I can't name. Seeing as that same hole is on another of my bikes of a different brand, I figured it's a pretty common thing, so easy to name.

About me?
    Moto Guzzi rider. The missus rides a CB250 until I can get her new, old Virago running. Oh, and I work at Macquarie Uni. 110km commute on the bike every day. :grin:
  4. Don't know about the virago, but on mine there is two plugs. One for the oil filter, take it out and the filter comes out with all the oil. The other hole (off to the side) is just the oil drain plug that you can use to get most of the oil out before taking the oil filter out (avoids 2L of oil falling out with the filter).

You sure the hole wasn't plugged before?
  5. some answers/ideas
    and why not, a manual Here
  6. I've even looked in the parts catalogue.
    It's the only rotten part that's not labeled. But from the lubrication diagram I found (pretty hopeless drawings) it looks like I'm dealing with the oil pressure relief valve, which is supposed to dump oil back into the crank case when the pressure is too high, but it looks like it has a bypass to the outside world which must have had a plug in it.
    Maybe it shot across the garage floor without me noticing. Maybe it's for mechanics to test the oil pump, maybe I've got no idea, maybe I'll fix it better with beer and a hammer. :shock: