Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil overfill and leak

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Bravus, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Just checking. Did my own oil change on the Bandit (not the filter), and it... may have een slightly over-filled. Not by a huge amount.

Since then there's a small leak - just a drop or two a day - from the top of the engine.

Is it normal, is it something to worry about, have I done a seal or something, is it just coincidence...?

2. Ah ha!! Another use for the trusty syringe. Stick a tube down the filler hole and suck the excess oil out (you could also pull the sump plug out for a second and then screw it back in but that's messy and potentially wasteful). The extra oil is probably increasing the pressure causing it to be blown out the breather on the rocker cover (usually connected to the air box, but never exactly a great fit...). When you over fill it's had to know if it's 100ml or 500ml over, as it's off the scale of the sight glass. If you have a dipstick it's easier to determine.
  3. Thanks for that. It's actually back to just the middle of the glass now, so I'm just keeping an eye on it, but what you described sounds just like what happened. Maybe I'll give the bike a big wash, now it's back to proper oil level, and make sure there's no further leakage.