Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil,Oil everywhere Oil.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Removed_User_6, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Went for a nice blat before work this morning... Parked the bike (the Gixxer) outside work with the rest of 'em .... About 9:55pm go out and start the beast ready for a blast through the burbs with a couple of the lads, after about 2 min's I see a LARGE puddle of oil under my bike. Kill the engine and remove fairings but I could'nt find the cause.. No apparent seal leaks. Not coming from the filter. :cry: :cry:
    The oil was not there before I started the bike and it lost a lot in a hurry.....

2. The fact that it lost it afte you started indicates that it is on the high pressure side of the oil galleries.

If you have an air/oil gix, then it may be just one of the external lines.

I suggest leaving the fairing off and, with the oil topped up and plenty of rags handy, turn it back on.

It may be just a ferrule come loose or an o-ring.

Probale worst case is that its a hole in an oil cooler. In which case take it to a radiator repair place. They should be able to weld it up for you
  3. You didn't say if you have filled it recently. If you did, and accidentally over-filled it, the motor will pump out the extra somehow...

4. This is my plan... 8) I just gotta retrieve my trailer and get the bike home first....
    Then I'll clean up the engine area and fill 'er up with oil. Hopefully it all spews out where I can see it and can easly fix 'er up....... :?
  5. upside down forks?? I have heard if the fork seal goes it GOES! (and usualy it does it sudenly and leaves a pool of oil)
  6. Did you recently lube your chain? If so did you check to see if the pool was sticky? I know it's basic and no offence intended but this phenomonem still gets me worried sometimes.
  7. Don't have a fairly outlandish practical joker at work, do you??
  8. This was definantly engine oil.... Not fork oil or chain lube :shock:

If that would be the case then blood WILL flow. I really dont think that would happen at Flying Boot Central... We are a close knit and mainly motorcycling workplace/ community....
  9. So a month down the track, what's the verdict? Find the problem and got it nutted out??
  10. Didn't someone else have a similar problem recently? It turned out that a fuel breather pipe was loose and had let fuel dribble down past the countershaft sprocket and washed a whole lot of accummulated oil from there onto the driveway???