Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil light

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by phill, Jan 30, 2009.

1. First of all Hi to all.
    I m a proud owner of a Black Ninja 250R and clocked up 20.000 km already.
    I have a quick question after the 18.000 km service (which they used 20/50 Motul 1000) on a hot days (having 43 C here in Melbourne) oil light takes too long to go off( water temp light as vell) I changed the oil to Mobil 1 10W40 few days were all right; only took 2 seconds to go off but today again 42 C air temp outside and took again longer but I did turn the engine off and straighted the bike instead of side stand and started again seems bit shorter. Any one had similar problem or know what it might be. By the way light never comes on when I am riding or heavy breaking no over heating or funny noises either.
    Thanks all

2. Mate, as long as the lights go off, I would not be worried.

If they stay on, now that's a different story.
  3. It's all to do with excessive heat, oil viscosity and electrical resistance.
    Smoke and mirrors mate.
  4. At my work we generally only use Motul 1000 in air cooled bikes or some small water cooled bikes at their first service, and 5100 in pretty much anything that's water cooled. Don't know anything about how oil viscosity affects engine temperature, but as you said it was happening on hot days. I wouldn't worry about the lights unless they are coming on when you're riding. Try some 5100 Motul too, it costs a little more, but I remember a thread on here about oils and Motul 5100 is a pretty popular choice. Maybe the oil light was taking longer to go off as 1000 is fairly thick and might have taken longer to build up pressure. Dunno, I am only an apprentice so let me know if any of this is wrong. Being wrong is all part of learning.
  5. Thanks for the help guys, I am trying keep a data now in order to pin point the problem. Seems like only time light takes too long to go off is when it is parked for 8 or 9 hours. If I start on a side stand and if doesn`t go off in few seconds I turn it off and make the bike stand up right and try again then only takes 2 to 3 seconds which is fine. Next I will try to put original oil filter instead of HF401 Oil filter see what happens then.
  6. Parked for 8-9hrs, all the oil will drain to the bottom of the engine and that's the reason the oil light is taking longer to go off, the oil is taking longer to get round all the oil-ways and build pressure.

I don't think you have a problem.
    You just need to make sure the oil level is correct, as I've said b4 you have a problem if the light comes on while riding.
  7. Hi all,
    I finally figured it out; it is the oil filter. I took out the one they did put (HF 401) in and I put original Kawasaki one and no more oil light problem it goes of almost instantly. So there you go do not use HF 401 on Ninja 250R no good.
  8. As the oil will be hotter in the motor before the engine is started because of the high ambient temp. the oil will be thinner thus taking a little longer to bring up pressure. if you were to fit an oil pressure gauge you would find that when the oil is cold at idle there'd be about 40 psi of oil pressure but as the bike warms up it will drop considerably. as low as 15 psi.
    I always use genuine parts when it comes to filters. its a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Just my thought