Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil levels?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Kawi, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Hello everybody I believe this is posted in the correct section.

I'm a novice when it comes to motorcycle maintanence and in need of some help.

I own a 2001 kawasaki er5

When topping up the oil and inspecting the level in the small viewing spot err? See picture. Do I take the reading of the bike off or on? And if on does it require to be warmed up? What I do know is when inspecting it the bike should be upright and centerd. Btw the picture included is when the bike is off. When it's on its clear with no oil in the clearing as seen in picture this has got me baffled.

Attached Files:

2. Of you have the manual have a quick read but I'm assumming you don'tif you're asking the question here. I have a Suzi and on the centre stand the oil should be at the top Mark. Not running and temp doesn't matter. My guess is to it up so it's just below or on the top Mark when upright.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hot or cold makes about a quarter sight glass difference on my bike. As in fill it to half way cold and it will be 3/4 when hot.

By off or on I assume you mean running or not running. Do it with the bike off, Hot or cold will depend on your manafacturer. Mine is meant to be taken hot which is a pita since you want to check and top before you go out not once you have come back. But now I am familiar with the difference between hot and cold i simply do it cold and fill to the lower cold level.

In case you haven't guessed my bike uses oil. Seems to be the nature of the design.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. If it's on the oil pumps running so oils moving around the bike keeping all the bits nice and lubricated. That's why it goes away.

The reading should be done with the bike off after the oil has settled.

Have a Google for a service manual and that will indicate whether you need to read the level cold or hot.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1