Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

oil leak...need help

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by dub, Oct 3, 2008.

1. I went to check out a bike yesterday, it was all good, ran well and revved freely (up to redline).

However, two of the head cylinder side caps (LHS) are loose and a slow oil leak is coming out of the front one. Being a noob to the mechanical side of bikes, is this indiciative of something serious or costly to repair?

It's a 1982 suzuki gs650 katana. Guilty caps are highlighted by red dots.

2. Not serious, just annoying. My gf's GS550 did the same.

Each of the chrome caps are secured by two screws and when removed, you should see a semi-circular rubber seal under each one.

Over time the seals harden and begin to leak. They are easy to replace, but it means removing the rocker cover, they simply lift out, and the new one drops in with a small smear of sealant.

Unless it's losing heaps of oil, just keep wiping off and topping up. Then replace them at your next valve adjustment.
  3. Forgot to say, tighten up the screws on the end caps before you lose them and/or the caps. They're hard to find these days.

The chrome covers are just for appearance.
  4. Thanks, great response...and one i was hoping to hear.
  5. If there are no oil pudles where you park, you're ok.

if there are oil puddles where you park, top up more frequently and you're ok.