Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil leak from behind water pump

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Jakey Flake, Sep 27, 2013.

1. #1 Jakey Flake, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Hi all! I've decided to consult the brain trust over an issue I've been trying to understand/fix. I've been researching quite a bit.

This week I discovered that my water pump is on its way to heaven because it was leaking a fair bit of coolant from the weep hole. Long story short, when I removed the pump some oil ran out from the pump cavity. I discovered that when the bike is upright, no oil leaks out, but when I stick it on the sidestand it leaks out from the mechanical seal(??), or some sort of seal, at the back of the water pump cavity.

Leading up to this, I've noticed no oil in my coolant, no coolant in my oil, or any oil leaking from the weep hole; just coolant from the weep hole.

What's stressing me is that I can't find a part relating to this in the parts list in the manual that I have, or really work out how to replace it. I know that it's some sort of seal, but I just can't work it out.

FYI, my bike is a Honda Hornet 250, and has the same engine as the old CBR250, so similar to the CBR250RRRRRRR's.

I'm trying to get this done before uni next week. If I have to catch the train again, you might here on the news of someone going on a murderous rampage on the train. Probably me.

Thanks all*! (y)

2. Well, there you have it. I think that I've just solved my issue. I'll post up my findings tomorrow when I have a tinker.

Looking forward to getting back on two wheels:D
    Night all.

3. So as I promised a while ago, I'll post up what I found. Turns out I'm a bit of a noob. As far as I can tell, it's normal for this to happen, according to what I found here. Basically, the link is to a post on firblades.org, pointing out that you should put you bike on a paddock stand to avoid oil leaking out when removing the water pump. That's why there is an o-ring that goes on the shaft of the water pump, to stop any oil leaking out.

This is now imprinted on the internet for all of the other noobs to discover.