Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil Help

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by ksystemz, Apr 17, 2008.

1. I think im running low on my oil for my bike, i have a service booked in for the 2nd of may. do i buy oil now and just pour it in and wait till my next service?

2. Do it slowly, it takes a while to get through to the spot glass and you don't want to overfill.
  3. Where do i put the oil anyhow. Would it be near my dipstick?
  4. Also my service for anybody who cares

It's a minor service with carb balance i think what you call it..

Frasers motorcycles Quoted $350 just for a minor service thats all
    Bikebiz - $400 with everything
    Then on 2 wheels - $350 for everything!
    Buget bikes Yagoona - $500-600

Bit far from me but saves me money
  5. 1 more questions, how do i check the oil level , i no i can use the dip stick , though i cant find the little glass window on my bike?
  6. The bike must be level for you to check the oil. It should have been shut down for 5 minutes, usually, to allow time for the oil level to settle.

Level means standing vertically and with front and back wheels at the same relative height (not one in the gutter with one on the kerb!)

Trevor G

PS Do not add oil without finding out what oil is already in there, and making sure that it needs it.

A little down is no problem unless it is below the minimum mark, under the conditions I have described.
  7. just want it to be ok for 2 weeks until i get my bike serviced!
  8. just stand the bike level and check the stick. unless you've got reason to worry (I.E. black smoke), if it's between the "Max" and "Min", she'll be right
    otherwise, fill to the "max" level. and read the oil level with the stick pointing down, and to read, first unscrew the stick, wipe it off, reinsert it, then unscrew and read that level. you'll find the oil level reads fuller first time around due to "Splashing around" in the crankcase
  9. ill just like to give on 2 wheels a good wrap in there mech apartment. The guys i talked to on the phone are very helpful, i will post after my service is done