Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil for 1982 CM250C

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by like_spike, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Hey Guys,

Had a search but I couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I am the proud owner of a 1982 Honda CM250 Custom (California model). It is a belt driven parallel twin, with custom twin pipes... It is my first bike, and I will be doing all the servicing myself.

It is in great nic, and has only done 34500kms in it's 30 years of life... But it is running a little rough.

What type of engine oil would you recommend? I have a bit of experience with car oil, but not on the bikes.

All thoughts and discussion is appreciated.

2. As a long ago owner of assorted Hondas of similar parentage I may be able to offer some advice.

Any decent mineral 10W40 or 15W40 multigrade without friction modifiers will be fine. Don't use 20W/50 or you'll bugger the camshaft in short order. If in doubt, Castrol Activ 4T is a safe bet but there are assorted car and diesel oils that are just as good. See "The Oil Controversy Thread". Change the oil at no more than 2500 km intervals (preferably shorter) again to avoid premature cam wear. Because of the short oil change intervals a synthetic is a waste of money.

I'm pretty sure the CM250 of that market and vintage has the SuperDream engine, with 6 valves and twin balance shafts. If so, it's got a proper oil filter which will need changing. If it's not the SuperDream motor, (most Aussie CMs have an unrelated development of the CD175/200 donk), it'll have a gauze screen on the oil pump which'll need cleaning and a centrigugal filter in the end of the crankshaft that will need the compacted crud picking out of it.

It would be a good idea to check the balance shaft chain tensions as slack balancer chains will lead to vibration from what should be a fairly smooth and revvy (if not exactly potent) engine. A lowish mileage bike of that age could probably do with the tank and the carbs cleaning out and a carb balance as well. That, along with new plugs, should sort any rough running.

Get used to polishing it or it will dissolve in the rain.
  3. I am skim-reading that thread as I write.

I am not sure which engine I have. I only say it was a California model because a mechanic down at The Bikesmith (in Blacktown) seemed to think it was. I will post some picks up and see what the Netrider Community thinks.

To be honest, I didn't even think of oil filter, etc. Thanks for bringing that up. I was planning to do a spark-plug change as well.

Ideally I am not looking to spend to much on this bike in terms of parts. Keep costs down until my learning stage is over, then upgrade to something more modern.
  4. A quick hunt around on Google suggests that the CM250C with belt drive is the bike that had the CD200 derivative donk and the SuperDream variant was the CM250T.

Most of my comments still stand though. But don't go looking for balancer chains 'cos it won't have any.

Interesting because, although I was aware of Kawasaki and Suzuki playing with belt drive on a few models at the time, I didn't know until today that Honda had done so too.
  5. #5 like_spike, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Interestingly, from what I have read, the 81 and 83 were chain. The 82 and 84 were belt.

My bike looks exactly like this one. I think this guy might be wrong on the year though.

6. Cool bike!
  7. I hate the fact your old bike look so much nicer and cleaner than my new one :(
    For peace of mind and the fact I don't trust anyone I would be changing all the fluids and filters.
    Very very cheap insurance.
    Oil filter will be 17 - 22. Fuel around 10
    The oil Pat the master speaks of is brilliant for your bike. I use it on all my postie bikes and they have been brilliant in reliability. The plugs have been in for three years with all day daily use. And they rarely stall.
    Might pay to try and get some nice new grease around the headstock bearings.
    Kewl ride anywho
  8. That Youtube video is not my bike. My bike just looks exactly like it (and is in the same condition). I also paid the same price.

My bike has custom exhaust pipes though, so she ain't quiet.