Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil Filter Magnet Reduces Engine Wear?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by chuchu91, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Hey boys, was speaking to a someone today about oil and engine wear etc. He recommends putting a magnet around your oil filter to catch metal shards that passes though the oil filter causing engine wear.

Any thoughts on this and anyone with experience?

I ve found a product that is design for this application,
    http://www.filtermag.net.au/overview.html

Let me know what you think?

Group buy?

2. someone would just pinch it

3. It's an interesting idea.

4. Are bores/sleeves still iron? I'm out of date with engine tech.

Wouldn't a filter catch the metal fragments anyway?

5. i have a magnet attached to my sump drain plug on my 1969 triumph it picks up fine metal in the oil ,bikers have been doing this for years

6. mining equipment (CAT trucks and excavators etc) do have a magnetic sump plug. They often do tests on the type of metal found stuck to it. Helps them determine the state of the engine wear etc. The engines have layered metal in places, so, when they are seeing certain types of metal, they know that some parts are worn a certain amount etc.

7. When I worked as a mechanic some vehicles/engines and/or gearboxes had a magnet on the sump plug.
    This would invariably have quite a collection of very fine iron/steel particles collected on it.
    Camshaft lobes, crankshaft journals, rocker faces, tappets, gear trains and cylinder bores would all be likely sources of these particles.
    In the case of a motorbike with the gearbox using a common oil supply with the engine, the gears would be a big contributor to metallic (iron/steel) wear particles.
    A magnet really couldn't hurt and may do some good.

8. I have a magnetic sump plug, but it's not that strong.

These two claims are bogus:
    Steel plates block stray magnetism, preventing interference with sensitive engine electronics.
    Steel plates also focus the magnetic energy to the inner canister wall.

How do steel plates do either of those things? The magnet is curved, so it already increases the field density on the inside of the curve.

9. Magnets on sump plugs have been around for ages....don't be shocked when you pull the plug out and find metal filings all over it either, usually fairly normal.....(although be warned if you see copper/brass coloured filings you likely have a bearing issue!)

Would add a magnet to any bike that didn't have one if that helps!

10. Wow i cant believe i didnt think about this.

I reckon duct taping a few hard drive magnets to my oil filter wont hurt.

Cheers for the good idea.

11. Waste of time for me as my magnetic personality would simply suck any shards back up to the top of the motor.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Harddrive magnets are very strong, would also help with induction loops at traffic lights.

Oh, and the dude talking about "particles", it's molecules at the lowest in this type of situation... Sorry, had my arsehat on.

13. Your aresehat is incorrect. Particle is a term that applies down to a sub-atomic level. My use of the word was correct.

• Like Like x 1
  14. If your finding metal peelings after the first service I would be a bit worried.

15. yea particle is used for things a lot smaller then molecules, pro tip (because it sounds like you didnt do any physics at school) there are things inside of molecules and atoms.

I would hope the magnets they use are at least as strong as a HDD magnet, oil is pretty thick and im guessing its moving through the filter with a fair bit of pressure. would need a decent magnetic force too pull the particles of metal out of the flow of oil and hold them there in the filter.

I will say i have no understanding of how oil moves through an engine that is running, i am just guessing that its moving at a decent rate.

16. The best insurance for reducing engine wear is to use a good quality oil of the correct viscosity and changing periodically.

Magnetic filters are around and will pick up ferrous particles, but as mentioned the oil is flowing through the filter at a great rate and a magnet won't pick up a great deal of particles while the oil is flowing.

Most metal particles settle to the bottom of the sump when the engine is shut down.

17. Which convieniently is also where a magnetic sump plug is located - so it doesn't need to try and pluck the particles from the fast moving oil, only hold on to them.

I consider magnetic sump plugs even more important on alloy engines - since the few ferrous particles you get can do a lot of damage to soft Al-alloys (cast iron is a lot more robust).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mad sump plug or a decent magnet glued to the outside of your sump will do all that's necessary. I've got a ring shaped magnet that will be going under the DR's oil filter at the next service but that's just because it came with the ProCycle service kit I just ordered.

Ally, brass and bronze won't stick to a magnet. That's why you need to give the drained oil a bit of an inspection to see if there are any non-magnetic chunkies in there.

In my experience magnetic plugs pick up a fair bit of ferrous fluff during the running-in period, tailing off a bit thereafter, but never quite disappearing altogether. Main source is piston rings. They get the hardest life of any of the magnetic components, followed by gear dogs on unit motors. If your valve train is chucking out significant quantities, your motor's probably had it.