Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

oil filter location on a CBR250RR?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Al Bundy, Nov 4, 2006.

1. As the title says i was just wondering where the location of the oil filter is?

Yesterday i pulled the fairings off to clean the front chain sprocket with the rest of the chain and rear sprocket (i had the day off and it was raining).
    I couldnt see a oil filter and the only place it looked like it belonged was on the bottom where a bolt was with a large circle rib(maybe 8cm dia) around the bolt location.
    I had it serviced a while ago by somewhere well known for good work so i presume that i'm just blind but i dont have a CBR manual.

Thanks for any help..
  2. The oil filter is under the circular rib with the bolt holding it on. Near that should also be another bolt which will be your oil drain plug.
  3. sorry for the stupid question, so should i be able to see the filter from the outside?

i should have taken a photo so i could remember what it looked like..

all that i could see inside the rib was a large flat washer and a bolt in the centre, if i undo this bolt does the surrounding section come down reveiling the filter? i thought that the filter should hang down from there out in the open.

edit: i am presumeing the filter is like a normal car oil filter, maybe this is where im going wrong? :oops: :oops:
  4. Yes that is where you are going wrong and yes if you undo that bolt the large flat section will come down. Sitting on top of this large flat section will be the oil filter. It doesn't look like a car one, it looks more like a K&N cyclinder air filter.

It should look something like this:

5. hey - its not liek a car filter, where there is an external unit.

make sure you've bought ur filter before you start taking things apart. i recommend u get an genuine honda filter for the cbr. it comes with the filter and two rubber seals. it costs 13 bux at actionmc's in the city. OEM ones only come with the filter (no seals) and cost 8 bux.

when you undo the bolt, the circular plate will drop and extra oil wil pour out (assuming you have already drained your sump) so make sure you have something to catch it. this plate has a centre rod which holds your filter. there should also be a spring on this rod.

also, make sure you get new crush washers for the sump plug! you dont want to strip your sump threads.
  6. Thanks josh and biceps, after reading your comments and getting home and looking at my bike again it all makes sence. :LOL: :LOL: :grin: :grin:
    Thanks again
  7. Be careful of HOT OIL when changing these filters, I just unwind teh bolt that holds the filter assembly in a few turns with a ratchet and let the oil flow out without getting my hand under that oil. Leave the filter components to cool a while before fully unscrewing and handling them too.

Regards, Andrew.