Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil coming from where oil shouldn't! ZXR250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ins0mniac, Mar 22, 2007.

1. I have a '92 ZXR250 that is doing quite the strange thing. I had an minor accident on it, involving me being forced off the road. And I have been fixing it up, and now when I start it there is oil leaking from the join between one of the exhausts and the engine. I am wondering if this would happen if the join was loose between the exhaust and engine. But I am also thinking oil shouldn't be anywhere near the exhaust... should it?

Thanks alot!

2. Is it oil? Or is it water/condensation turned black from the sooty residue from the exhaust?
  3. What part was damaged in the accident? Was the head involved?
    Oil could have also collected in areas it wouldnt normally be if the bike was on its side for a while.
  4. When I hit the ground and realised what had just happened happened I got to the bike, hit the kill switch and stood it back up. It would have only been down for about 10 seconds tops. Do you think that would be enough time to gather oilin the wrong places. The only damage I found was somehow the main fuse practically shattered, the front rim was buckled, and the altenator cover had a crack in it, which leaked oil. I have had to drain the oil in order to replace the alternator cover. I hope this gives you an idea of what might be wrong.