Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

oil changes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Disco_Dave, May 31, 2011.

1. Hi All,

Looking at the recommended maintenance schedule for my suzuki GS500f it mentions that oil/filter are to be replaced every 1000k's.

I have only bought this bike - my first - and want to know if this is realistic? do we really need to change the oil/filter that often? even with weekend riding only that basically means an oil change every month or so.

Also, what is the usual interval for minor/major services on bikes?

2. Suzuki intervals are as follows:
    1000k - change oil/filter, this is to get rid of excess gunk from breaking engine in.. This is a once off, not every 1000kms

6000- minor
    12000- major
    18000- minor with plug change
    24000- major

repeat from there...
  3. These links will help you

I change the oil & filter at 5,000km using 15w-40 SL dino oil, synthetic oil would go much longer. It's air cooled with a small sump and in hot summers in traffic that oil cooks . If your style is moderate country riding you may well stick with 6,000km (4000 mile) service intervals.

BTW I have surplus Hiflo filters available if you want any @ 7.50$ + postage

It's a wicked small bike, don't be scared to thrash the living daylights out of it, my son does.

Cheers from Vmaxer
  4. I change my oil filter every second time I change change the oil (only had to do it once so far) but yeah check out the GSTwins wiki as it's got a lot of helpful information, I also purchased a Haynes GS500 manual which is pretty good as well. Costs about $50 with postage from the UK but with the money I'll save from minor services will make up the cost in no time.
  5. Yep, I'd be changing with synthetic every 5Mm if it were mine.
  6. Don't use synthetic for the first 10 ~ 15,000k. Let the engine break in properly with conventional mineral oil and then think about going synthetic.