Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil Change/Top Up

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by IgnisDraconis, Apr 8, 2009.

1. G'day all,

Just after a bit of quick advice:

I'm due to make a 600km round trip this easter weekend on my relatively new Ninja 250r. It's done 3,500km to date and had an oil change at the 1,000km service.

So just checking to make sure it'd be right for the trip and when I should look to either top it up? or get it changed/try and do it myself.

I've had a look through past topics re this but can't find anything pertainaing to my bike specifically. Any advice/guidance for your learned selves would be very much appreciated.

Cheers all and have a great Easter weekend!

2. It will be in the owners manual.
    But............. Check after every long ride and dont forget to check the coolant too. The change intervals should be 6000km but the little book will tell you. You shouldnt need to top up between services unless you are flogging the guts out of it!
  3. Although I ride a GPX250, the engine is known to use a fair bit of oil with high rev riding. The manual even reccomends checking the oil as part of the daily checks.

Personaly I would change the oil and filter again since it's a new bike and during the break-in period the oil tends to pick up alot of crud.

Check the ninja250wiki (forum wont let me post links) for almost everything you could ever want to know about oil for your 250, lots of good info on the rest of the site aswell.
  4. I can show you a ZZR250 with 45,000km on the clock that barely uses 150ml between scheduled changes. I don't think they're "known" as oil burners and they hold quite a bit for a 250.