Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oil and Petrol Leak in Kawasaki GPX250R (2006)?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Renee_AW, Jan 27, 2011.

1. I had my bike serviced in August and have only ridden twice since then. I have had my bike hooked up to a trickle charger but tried to start it about six weeks ago and it wouldn't start. I was going on a one month holiday to the UK and didn't have time to sort it out so garaged it & thought I would fix it when I got home. Then when I got home my husband got sick (gastro), I got sick and then our baby son got sick..so no time for looking at the bike :nopity:

Anyway. While I was away the bike leaked a whole lot of oil - at least there was a pool of oil under the bike. When I took it outside to look there is no sign of an oil leak and the oil if full. I do not know where this has come from.

There was also petrol in the bottom of the fairing, just sitting in a small pool but no indication of a petrol leak. So confusing. I forgot to turn the petrol off when I stored the bike so not sure if that would contribute.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should look at to identify what the problem is?
  2. Is there any fluid in the airbox?

To check just look for the drain hose near the rear brake lever which should have a plastic cap in it. Remove the cap and see if anything drains out (might want to have a container on hand in case something does).
  3. yeah it reads like you've had a minor float needle leak and it's flowed back into the air box and washed the crap out of the bottom of it.
  4. I spoke to Kawasaki and it turns out the diaphragm on the fuel tap has collapsed, fuel in oil and big leak. About $150 to fix.... baahumbug.