Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oggy Knobs ... I thoroughly recommend them.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Opal, Oct 23, 2006.

1. I did it again ... dropped my bike that is ...

When I first started to ride around the local streets I made a point of stopping at every intersection I came to. This was so I would get practice at starting and stopping. However, after stalling a couple of times in front of a car, I decided at give way signs to slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary or else slowly continue around the corner. This worked out quite well, more than likely due to the fact that I never encountered another road user at the intersection ... until yesterday. Whilst I thought I was prepared to stop, I wasn’t ...

I was turning left when a car approached from my right. Alas, I panicked a little and stupidly grabbed the front brake. I stopped alright, but unfortunately, given I was turning left, the bike was already leaning to the left and then when I put my left foot down, I leaned even more to the left. I knew what was happening and valiantly tried to keep the bike upright, but unfortunately gravity won and the bike and I ended up on the road.

At this point I was quite miffed with myself for my stupid behaviour and could practically hear one of the many instructors saying "don’t use the front brake when riding slowly", however, my anger soon turned towards the driver of the car. I didn’t blame the driver at all, my "incident" was 100% my fault. However, the driver slowed down a fraction, and then just drove off! Would it have hurt them to spend a precious minute of their day checking out if I was okay?

Alone with my bike I then had the challenge of getting it up. I tried and tried but couldn’t succeed. Whilst this was going on three cars went past, not one person offering to help. Finally when I was beginning to despair, a good Samaritan wound down his window and asked if I wanted help. I enthusiastically said "yes, please". The guy who helped was great, within a second my bike was upright and he stayed to make sure I could get it started and ride off. I just hope he realized how thankful I was for his help.

Once back home I checked the bike over and couldn’t find a single scratch. I put it away but later checked again, as surely I must have scratched it, and this was when I noticed the state of one of my Oggy knobs. It was a bit worse for wear, but obviously it was reason there were no scratches on my bike. I appreciate most beginners aren’t as clumsy/awkward as myself, but if your bike can have Oggy knobs and you don’t have them, I suggest they are a great investment.

As for my riding, I’ve booked into HART for some practice sessions, hopefully they can help me keep the bike upright ... at least for a month ...

2. Opal, where do you live? You should be able to PM by now, so you can tell me that way if you like.

Scheff

3. Thats pretty much exactly how i did my first drop with my zx6. But the guy in the car stopped which was good cos I was looking at it thinking I aint picking that b*stard up :)

But that was when i had oggy knobs on backorder :(

4. those slow drops suck hey... you feel it going, and going, and goooooooone.... after a while you'll get more used to the weight, i used to struggle to bloody stand still... i'm a MASSIVE clutz... now i sit at the lights and see how much i can lean it b/w my legs with no hands, i've had a couple of scares though hehe

5. Hey Opal,
    dont be too hard on yourself,
    I have accidently "placed" one or more of my bikes on its side at low speeds,
    backing it out of the garage on a wet driveway,
    foot slipping on linemarking on a road, dropped it at a set of lights.

like a mate of mine said,
    a bike has 2 wheels,
    so it can and does fall over,
    the main thing is, no injuries,
    and next to no damage is a bonus.
    Keep riding and having fun
    Cheers
    Chris.

6. Oh dear Opal.good to hear you're taking some positive action.

It happened to me on my 3rd day of riding. without oggies :(

7. yea don't be too hard on yourself
    most people have dropped their bikes

8. I have a GPX and I'm thinking of installing some oggy knobs. Question is, how do you know where to install them on the bike? Do bikes come with some pre-installed mounting points?

9. Also known as "frame sliders" - Oggy Knobs etc bolt to the frame of your motorcycle... sometimes to/through engine.
    On faired bikes you sometimes have to cut the fairing, or at least shave a semi-circle out to give the knob room.

Try asking here.
    I don't go there, but a mate of mine does and he says they're cool people, and do lots of mods so they can probably offer some advice or link to a guide for the GPX250. I tried Google but couldn't turn up anything useful.

Good luck :)

10. yeah.. was looking at them at one stage but couldn't find anyone who stock them for my bike.

Opal, good to see that you book in for some more lessons with HART.. at least the insturctor can tell you what you have done wrong and what you should be doing in those situations... I am still in my learning stage.. and practise everyday if I can..

11. yeah oggy's are cool.
    good for small slow drops but say a low slide it really stops the farings from total destruction. Also may want to also get some clutch sliders as well.

12. Unfortunately Ktulu is right for the GPX and ZZR - i made enquiries when i first dropped my bike - aftermarket kbobs can be fitted, however you need to bore holes in the fairings.

13. Unfortunately Ktulu is right for the GPX and ZZR - i made enquiries when i first dropped my bike - aftermarket kbobs can be fitted, however you need to bore holes in the fairings.

14. Unfortunately Ktulu is right for the GPX and ZZR - i made enquiries when i first dropped my bike - aftermarket kbobs can be fitted, however you need to bore holes in the fairings.

15. Unfortunately Ktulu is right for the GPX and ZZR - i made enquiries when i first dropped my bike - aftermarket kbobs can be fitted, however you need to bore holes in the fairings.

16. Yeah Oggies are great. Fluffy Donkey has a pair on his ZX6R and they look sweet as. He had to cut a little fairing although they came together great and didn't take to long to install. Also I would advise to look for some billeted aluminum oggies, just cos I think they would fair better in a slide. Also the aluminium ones are deeper, so that the oggie goes all the way back the the frame and means the mounting bolt will be less likely to snap in a slide.

Opal it sucks to hear that you put your bike down, but what is worse is that noone helped you up with it right away. I guess a few seesions at the gym. :p Still glad to hear that your baby is ok. :)

17. Who needs oggy knobs when you can just leave your leg under the bike when it falls :LOL:

Nah, honestly, i dont reccomend that. :grin: :grin:

18. Unfortunately with frame sliders you can go to far. I saw an SP1 with frame sliders over the exhaust, some extra rear frame sliders, and regular oggies, and it look like some sort of special ed kid wrapped in buble wrap so he wouldn't hurt himself. I thought it just took a whole heap away from the bike. :(

19. Unfortunately Ktulu is right for the GPX and ZZR - i made enquiries when i first dropped my bike - aftermarket kbobs can be fitted, however you need to bore holes in the fairings.

20. Thanks for the positive feedback. Had a great practice session at HART yesterday, was even given a lesson on how to lift a dropped bike (although I hope I don't have to use that lesson anytime soon).

Just need to practice, practice, practice ...