Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Off Topic - Visual Route and Firewalls

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mjt57, Apr 19, 2005.

1. I'm trying to set up Visual Route, an internet tracking program. I got it off the latest PC User mag cover disc and includes free registration.

It can't access the net. Tells me that perhaps a firewall is stopping it. I have a Netgear wireless router which is connected via "bridge mode" to a Netcom NB1300 modem. I'vechecked the firewall settings. Nothing should stop it working. During this, I found out that neither "ping" nor "tracert" work either.

Any clues gurus?

2. Some routers specifically prevent ICMP traffic (ping and traceroute) and have a seperate tick box for that.

If you can ping your router but not beyond that then its your ISP who is blocking ICMP traffic.

I'm about to head home, I'll chech my NB1300 to see if there is anything in there and post again but run through the configs to see if anything is stopping it.

also check any software firewalls on your machine (zonealarm, windows firewall, etc etc)
  3. If you know what TCP/IP port Visual Route uses you can maybe open it up on the firewall -if it is the firewall that is blocking, that is.

Have you tried connecting to the router?

On mine (Netgear) I go to "services" and add a custom service for the TCP/IP port of the program.
    Then set a rule for the new "service" in the "firewall rules" bit.
    This is also where you can block/allow "ping" and "tracert" etc.

I had to do that to get Bit Torrents working ;)

Hope it helps.
  4. heya mjt57,
    what is your Operating System and Service Pack?
    (My Computer > Properties)

if it is WinXP SP2,
    Microsoft did all sorts of funny stuff with the firewalls.

this is causing customers problems with our networked applications.
    our company line is, avoid WinXP SP2 if possible (for the moment).
  5. I always laugh when I read stuff like that. IT people saying to avoid something liek a major servic epack with all it's fixes and added protection, when all they need to do is turn off teh firewall if it's a problem - or better yet configure it properly.
  6. There's a lot more to SP2's shortcomings than the firewall, Mouth. There's that bug to do with loopback addressing (patch is available, but is not on Windows Update!); the native bluetooth support that destroyed previously functioning bluetooth headset arrangements; DEP stability issues (that was supposed to make it MORE secure/stable!); not to mention there are still some limitations in driver support (my M-Audio soundcard, for one).

In addition, all the packs that make up SP2 are available from Windows Update anyway. The added benefits only include the somewhat problematic additions of BT, Security Centre, DEP, etc. If you don't want these, you can still run a very secure SP1 install with your own firewall software. The only security shortcoming then is the lack of DEP in SP1. But if you know enough about security to understand DEP, it shouldn't be a problem! :p :wink:
  7. This is the response that the Visual Route support guy sent me:

I'm stuffed if I can find any reference to ICMP in the router setup. The closest is Port Forwarding/Port triggering, and it only refers to TCP and UDP.

I have Bit torrent and Emule, along with email, web browsing, FTP, ICQ and NNTP (Usenet) services working just fine. Visual Route is the only app that can't see the net. Weird thing is, it can resolve IP addresses, if I type in a web address, say, netrider.net.au it will display its numerical IP address. So, at least DNS is working.

My router is a Netgear WGT624 wireless router. It's connected to a Netcomm NB1300 ADSL modem in bridge mode (which means its built in router is disabled).

In the past, ping and tracert, and indeed, an earlier install of Visual Route used to work. But that's probably before I installed the Netgear.

I'll post a note on the Netgear support boards and on Whirlpool. I found a forum there for networking questions and stuff.

Thanks for the respones, fellas.

8. What about your Netgear - that could be blocking ICMP. Try pinging the IP of your router and see if you get a response.

As for the NB1300...
    Show Advanced Setting | Misc | Activate ICMP Proxy
    Reboot router? That work?
  9. Fixed it.

The tip that I got was the pinging. I pinged the router. It timed out. I could successfully ping the loopback address as well as the assigned IP for the computer. I could not ping anything else.

Reading the help files at Netgear, I enabled a feature called "universal Plug n Play" which allows multiple services. For some reason, this was stopping services like ping and tracert.

Don't ask me why. After I enabled it, I tried pinging a few addresses again. Now it's working.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Jason, with the NB1300, I cannot access it across the LAN, when it's "bridged" with the router. I have to physically disconnect the modem from the router and plug it directly into a PC and log in that way. When I do that, I usually disconenct the phone line, as in bridged mode there is no protection at all, as NAT is disabled and the NB doesn't have SPI firewall protection.

Anyway, I've learned a bit more about routers tonight, as well as that I know now that my router is "Version 1". This particular model comes in two versions, mine and a V2 with an upgraded chipset with more features, apparently......

Now, it's time for bed. That's what irks me about computers - when you find a problem you lose all track of time when trying to sort it out.....
  10. Yup, know what you mean. Run a NB1300 in half-bridge mode with a NB5540 wireless router. The first time I set it up, the NB1300 trashed its internal eeprom. To work on the NB1300 is a pain, and the NB5540 needs to be out of circuit. I run the risk when updating and screw around with it connected to the line, but this is with the linux machine.

From a man at the coalface Marty, recommendations for ADSL modems? I have to get my dear old Ma on broadband soon (she runs Mandrake 9 like a trooper).
  11. [quote="nil_orally"
    From a man at the coalface Marty, recommendations for ADSL modems? I have to get my dear old Ma on broadband soon (she runs Mandrake 9 like a trooper).[/quote]

Stay away from netgear , I have one here she can have bloody things died twice and had to be repaired..

Dlink seems to work best , and an old pc running freesco from a floppy best out there
  12. What!!!! Dlink's gear has given me hell and Dlink don't want to know they don't work..... "Just buy another one" not a problem I will, just not a Dlink.

Mouth, absolutely configure the thing right and most people are set, but you wouldn't be saying that if you had to support a workgroup with WinXP and Win98 machines (Don't ask!!!!). A number of SP2 updates dematically reduce network performance and one even prevents file access across shares. But I've almost weened them off Win98, just two workstations to go.
  13. I'm yet to find a 100% reliable brand (or even 95%) of ADSL modem/routers. At the best of times they're finicky devices: requiring consistent power and protection from the phone line they run on.

And then you've got to worry about our less than reliable Telstra network!

Dlink aren't too bad. I run a Netcomm and Linksys setup at home, which now that it's on a UPS, is reasonably reliable. If anything, I think the Linksys lets the network down, not the Netcomm - opposite of what I expected!

ICMP should work without UPNP, but it's good you've got it working.
  14. Are you sure thats the only security short coming on a windoze box

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  15. :LOL:

Guess should clarify: the only shortcoming of SP1 vs SP2.

Good point tho HH! :p
  16. reply

I have been try to follow the thread, with some interest. (Struggled a lot)

We use a Netgear modem1300/router etc for our isdn. We have 6 computers linked to it an all are XP SP2. No problems at all.

We managed to access the internet, converse with each other etc.

There is a computer in the bottom of the box, router sits on top and mdem on top of that. We also have a telecom cable switch to isolate it from the phone lines for a few reasons.

The only time we have had a problem was when some clown alterd some settings by clicking on a default button and we didnt know he did it.

At home for adsl I use a Netcom NB1300. So far only prob I had was it appeared to be dropping off. Primus mob got me to change some settings and appears to have worked ok.

Anyway, a very interesting thread.

Now a question.

The above named computers are to be networked in a new building.
    Hopefully adsl for internet.

Someone forgot to lay cables in building phase.
    Distance from front of building to farthest computer is about 20metres. About 4 walls between.

Best option?

Cable around outside building? (Skillion roof, conc floor.)

Will the current isdn router work with a adsl modem?

17. D-Link have given me hell throughout my entire professional career - from their first 33.6K modems onwards. Heaps of shit. My ISP recommended them for broadband modems - 2 months later (Marty will remember the unfavourable comments I had about them a few months back) I've finally got a stable link.

Netgear are the home use arm of Bay Networks, a very well respected networking company. I've not ever had problems with most Netgear products before now, although I HAVE had some issues with the old 10/100 NICs with the Butterfly chipsets - mainly that the drivers are crap.

Oh yeah, the SP1 vs SP2 debate - SP2 + the KB893066 patch can cause a TCP fault that prevents your mail clients (ALL clients!) from being able to send the . to sign off a message when talking to an SMTP server thats not in the internal LAN. So don't tell me that just because M$ release a "Service Pack" and that it fixes a whole heap of stuff - IT Professionals should simply recommend it, and learn to configure it properly. I draw your attention to M$ certifications:

Question (Multiple Choice): Bring up a command prompt in Win2K/XP without using the shortcut under Accessories.

Answer #1: Click START -> RUN, type in "cmd" and press ENTER

Answer #2: Click START -> RUN, type in "cmd" and click OK

Answer #3: Press the Windows key + R, type in "cmd" and press ENTER

Answer #4: Press the Windows key + R, type in "cmd" and click OK

M$ will mark Answers 1, 3 & 4 as INCORRECT on their exams, DESPITE the fact that they work perfectly well.

THere is ALWAYS the right way, the wrong way, and the M$ way, and with that sort of mentality, you open yourself up for major compatibility issues.

I don't trust ANY service pack they release until its THOROUGHLY been tested and the first round of "updates" comes out afterwards. I read the white papers and technical discussion groups to ensure that the damn thing won't stuff up the machines on my networks. I test it thoroughly myself, with ALL my common apps, until I do, it does NOT go out onto the machines. I laugh myself silly when the US arm rushes around to ensure the latest bugpack from M$ goes onto EVERY machine (including servers) the DAY its released, and then they have weeks of problems.

I learnt a long time ago not to trust ANY piece of software. I now have a customised LiveUpdate server for such things - once tested and certified, out it goes to all computers. No troubles since.
  18. I find just removing windows is much easier on maintenance , I have 5 machines at home
    running linux,solaris and mac osX , life is much easier when M$ is not apart of the scene