Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Off the L's, onto the P's

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Cheeks, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Got my P's last week in woebegone Thomastown. It was strangely easy, though I'm happy that I missed the soon to be implemented cost hikes. An on-road test is probably a good idea.

I've been out through King Lake, Healesville, Warrandyte... Lots of rides following experienced riders and enjoyed the hell out of it. This week I took the bike to Melton for a service (through the dealership) and by far the most terrifying thing I've experienced is coming back on the Calder highway. Bumpy surface, trucks and cars with no interest in the speed limit... It took some serious concentration. I was shocked at how bad the road was, and though I would happily have ridden much faste than the limit (80?) I don't want to lose my licence having just got the bloody thing. Tailgating was the norm, so I spent my time moving around lanes just to accomodate egos. Weird.

Anyway, I love riding the bike, and have discovered something exhilarating that I don't need to explain or justify. It just is.

Cheers,

Cheekster.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Congrats CheeksCheeks well done! :)
    Enjoy the ride and always own the lane you are riding in.
    A few groups rides in Vic head out your way as well. You should tag along!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Congrats CheeksCheeks, you timed it perfectly! Happy riding, keep to the mountains, stay away from motorways and enjoy life on two wheels (y)

4. Congrats

If you think the Calder is rough wait till you try Sth Gippsland. They have potholes which swallow cars

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Hmm, I often ride on the Calder, cant say I remember it being rough.

Congrats. Its sure gunna be harder to get a License into the future, hopefully though it will also produce a better rider for the road.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Will reduce the number of absolutely hopeless but still won't produce decent riders. The only thing that can do that is practice

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. welcome aboard :) congrats on getting the big P :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. To be fair GoozaGooza I think it was the on-ramp from the Melton Highway that felt so bad - once I got on the Calder it was probably a carry over memory of that! I guess the good thing is that I did it and added another experience. I'm having a fantastic personal experience regardless. Cheers.

9. #9 Cheeks, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Thank you Fr33dmFr33dm, agreed! I feel blessedh having this much fun.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I probably overstated my experience, but I shall not be deterred. Sth Gippsland is definately on the menu.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thankso OldmaidOldmaid, I'm always so f'n busy, but must try to get in on the Netrider community. Time will tell. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Welcome CheeksCheeks
    It's pretty hard to find a perfect road that will stay that way for longer than 24 hrs.
    You never know what's around the next bend.
    Just enjoy whatever you can, and ride around the bits you don't.

• Like Like x 1
  14. G'day and welcome, CheeksterCheekster. It sounds like you're getting a thorough inculcation to motorcycling. Congratulations getting your licence and bike. :]

15. Congrats on getting your Ps! Enjoy the ride!

• Like Like x 1