Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Off road touring resources

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mkelpie67, Feb 12, 2015.

1. I'm feeling a like a bit of adventure, looking into getting a nice offroad tourer, but I'm having trouble finding good online info for offorad motorcycle touring. Plenty of car stuff warning of corrugations and advising people to take 2000L of fuel but nothing really motorcycle specific. Lots of forums for moto x but nothing touring related.

I'm thinking of something like Bourke to Lake Eyre then up to Simpson Desert than back to Sydney.

Anyone have a good place to start looking?

2. Google the advrider site, go to the regional section, then choose Australia.
    Heaps of info there, bike set-ups, safety considerations, fuel availability, ride reports on every inch of this country!

I do a bit off outback riding, so l might be able to give you my opinion on a few things.

Start with a few 2-3 day trips, try to be self sufficient, then cut back the non-essential stuff. Fuel, water, tools/parts, communications and first-aid gear are a must, the rest is nice to have.
    If l go remote l carry water/food for 5 days, just incase l get stuck out there.

Looking forward to reading about your progress, so keep us informed.