Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Off P's! Next steps...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by stevewelsh, Jan 9, 2015.

1. I recently got my full licence and took the Red P off the CBR250R - I'm oldish and have a full car licence so fall into the concession for one year on a red P after the L's test.

I'd like to say thanks to you lot, especially for the practice session I attended, all helped. Anyone approaching MOST I'd recommend taking the time to go to Homebush at least once.

Sticking with the 250 for the moment, but the gf runs a CBR600RR, so I would guess I need to demonstrate some skill on that fairly soon. I notice that the power increase between the two bikes is (cough) significant. About 4 times the power, which in car terms would be like stepping from a regular hatch into a Lamborghini.

Any trips on transitioning from 250 to 600 particularly that you'd like to mention, stories you'd care to share? I've been searching about, I would guess this topic has been hammered out somewhere but (sorry) but couldn't find anything (mostly I found first bike 600cc stuff.. yikes).

So far - careful with the throttle inputs, brake inputs.. weight (I'm 70kg, 172cm) .. biggest issue raised to me so far (by gf) is low speed manoeuvring.

2. I will be in the same boat as you in the next few months.
    I did have the *cough* pleasure or swapping bikes for a short run out in the middle of no where with a friend who has a BMW R1200GS.

To be honest I was expecting a lot more but I found that there was more torque lower down in the smaller gears and it did feel a bit top heavy, apart from that not much else.
    I suppose it will be different on a more sportier bike.

As I am 190 ish I am thinking of either. Street Tripple or BMWF800R
  3. Steve................ your girlfriend sounds hot ;)
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. The bike will go fast as much you open the throttle.

What I mean is just be mindful of your throttle and front brake control.

And yes look at your speedo because it won't feel that you are going much faster but you are :hungry:

Apart from that not much different
  5. R1200GS is relatively docile in terms of applying power. Although once moving and in the hands of a competent rider can perform more than capably. Not surprised it felt a little top heavy though as depending on the model can have a fuel tank twice the size of some sports bikes.

Personally I don't see low speed manouvering as an issue. There is a technique and it works on just about all bikes. Mine is big and heavy and I can ride it at almost stationary speeds, although probably not expecially good for my dry clutch.

Depending on how you currently ride, I suspect the big thing will be throttle control. You can get away with a lot on 250s and pretty common for riders to slam it open in an attempt to wring out more power coming out of a corner. Bigger bikes can be less forgiving of imputs which are not smooth, as many a YouTube videos of proud new bike owners binning it in the first 100 metres show.

Good luck and remember smooth is good.
  6. I went from a Ninja 250r to a Z1000 with no problem. Just respect the throttle :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Double post
    Nothing to see here

These are not the posts you were looking for.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I find your lack of throttle control disturbing
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. I have a fantastic lack of throttle control - you should check my license out, points make prizes apparently
  10. I
    I think you have mixed up your licence with your Wollies reward card!
  11. I have a 150 4-stroke with 12kw. Whats throttle control?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. If you find yourself going faster than you used to, keep in mind things are approaching faster, so plan in advance and don't take your eyes off the road in front for too long.
  13. Back when I was on my P's this generous (and quite frankly, stupid) uni mate let me take his GSXR750 for a spin. The engine was eye-opening, sure, but the brakes were something else. I realised there were things I could get away with using the crappy brakes on my 250 that would get me killed on the bigger bike.

So don't forget that the most powerful control on the right handlebar isn't the throttle. Respect them both.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. A mate of mine borrowed another mate's porker 996 a while back. His comment was "I didn't realise how fcuking fast i was going until it was time to stop".
    • Like Like x 1
  15. first time I got my 600 I gave it the beans in first gear coming out of a slow bend & did a massive wheelie right up to the balance point & landed with the crown jewels imprinted on the tank, eventually the right hand develops the survival instincts both on the throttle & brakes to keep you safe.........or not and you end up in a ditch

the other big difference especially on a super sport is how heavy the steering feels after coming of a two fiddy, you have to learn to get down low to get better steering input

also 600's are great for country roads, mountain roads & track days, general road riding not so much, always have to keep the revs up, so I would test ride other style of bikes if i were you

do a course like CSS level 1 & take it easy for a while to get used to the power & have fun, getting your first big bike is a truly memorable time!
  16. Yup!

Attached Files:

• d1.
      File size:
      112.1 KB