Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OEM Tyres

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by oz_johnno, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Howdi,
    I dropped Pammy (ZX14) off at Geoff Taylor this morning for a service and a new pair of tyres (I hadnt ridden her in months cause I wont ride on shitty tyres). While I was there I told the guy I was unhappy cause I heard that the OEM tyres the bike came with have less tread (about 1mm less) than the standard production Bridgestone BT014.

Whilst I thought this was a cost cutting measure (less tread = less cost) I was informed that these days, the OEM tyre is generally the perfect tyre for that particular bike and that tyre manufacturers provide the bike manufactures with a range of tyres to test on new models. He hypothesised that that the tyre was probably 'shaved' to prevent tread walk on a big bike like the zx14.

Makes sense I guess

As for Tyre choice, well I ride nearly every day and like to do the odd spot of touring so I stuck with the bridgestone and chose the Battlax BT021.

We also spake of tyre pressures. My little book says the recommended pressure for the ZX14 is 40 PSI !! It sounded a bit much to me so I was running mine at 38. and when he looked at the tyre he reckoned that it was slightly underinflated..... so there you go. He then went on to say that some of the big honda's have a recommended tyre pressure of 42psi in the back.

So folks, what has been your experience of OEM tyres and I would be interested to here what tyre pressure people who have late model sports bikes run.

Cheers

OZ

2. I run fairly high pressure in the rear of my Speed Triple (02 model).

Recommened is 32f and 42 rear, 4psi higher in the rear recommened for the dual sided swingarm models, but it works, I am getting good tyre wear and a good ride.

I have no reason to doubt what the manufacturer says about how my bike is designed.

3. The OEM tyre may well be the best one, but not necessarily.

I find it hilarious when people say that no improvements can be made to various components - "the manufacturers have done all the research and that is the best possible one for the bike, you're not saying you're BETTER than the manufacturer, ARE YOU?"

It's as if those people have no concept that the manufacturer might make decisions based on cost :roll: or that different applications or riding styles will benefit from different components.

[/rant]
    Anyhoo, my bike was totally made to a price and the tyres that came with it were somewhere between plastic and concrete. CRAP! Put better, well sticky tyres on it and I simply can't emphasise how much better the bike handles esp in the wet, and how much more confidence inspiring it is - I never quite trusted it before.

4. the sportmax II's OEM fitted were rubbish. I'm pretty sure that they had less tread depth on the showroom floor unridden, than the Michelin ive got on the rear now after 2000km of hard riding.

I can't wait for next month where i'm going to replace the front despite it still having another decent whack of k's in it.

as for pressures, i've got mine a little higher than recommended, which i find slightly better for commuting (fuel consumption, better on the highways and all that)

5. OEM tyres are, as a rule, the cheapest the manufacturer could get away with fitting.

Best doesn't come into it.

6. And this includes any kickbacks a manufacturer will get for choosing a specific company as an oem tyre.

7. Ahhh, cynics huh :)

I have to say I have had no complaints about the bridgestone BT014's other than the fact that I ride them fairly easily and I only got 7000km out of them.

Just picked up Pammy. Her new BT021's sure do look purdy......

Think I might go out and scuff them up a bit this arvo

OZ

8. Well, the manufacturers are in it for their profit margins. To expect cost and commercial considerations not to play a part would be naive in the extreme.

That said, tyre development is now at the point that, even when the choice is entirely cost driven, the customer will almost certainly end up with a tyre/bike combination that is adequate. They're not going to get something that will instantly dump them on their ear in the wet or cause the bike to go into violent tankslappers at the slightest provocation, as was once a distinct possibility with early Bridgestones, Japlops and Jokohamas.

9. "only 7000 kl" ????
    I find that amazing for the BT014 s on a 1400.
    You must have incredible self control of the right hand, and maybe the higher pressures help with milage.
    I look at manufacturers recomended tyre pressures as maximums fully loaded.
    Honda recomend 42 for the rear on te blade. I run 34 psi, much better for grip when you're giving it a bit.

10. The OEM tyres on the 14 were rubbish, I like pilot powers they turn in faster and no more smoke from simple gear shifts, they last longer too. The 2ct version is even better but the thing will chew them up if you don’t watch your right wrist, the pilot road2 might suit your riding style better. For pressures I run 36 rear (down to 30 when scratching) and 34 front (also down to 30 when scratching), 42/42 (recomended) only when 2up.

11. Not always the case. Quite often, the OEM branded version of a specific tyre will be the better tyre for that bike (from that model, ie, a BT014 for a ZX is different to the R1 etc).

That is not to say that a different brand or model won't make the world of difference.

The best part about bike tyres is that if you make a crap choice, it's not like you have to wait long to try a new style. :LOL: