Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OEM or original

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by jbpea1, May 12, 2008.

1. Gday all,

I have been told by the shop a worn stator is responsible for my constantly dead battery.

I was told i could pay for my current stator to be rewound (approx $400 inc labour)

OR it looks as if i could purchase a new OEM stator from ebay .com and have that put in for about the same money.

Is it all much of a muchness. ??? CHEERS

2. If your bike's a Suzuki built before about 1990, get it rewound by someone who knows what they're doing, fit a rec/reg from anyone but Suzuki and enjoy many years of trouble free electrickery.

If it's anything else, flip a coin :grin: .

3. Just to clarify, OEM is Original.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

So the difference here is between a cheap OEM (allegedly, beware of fake parts on eBay, especially from China) part or having your existing part reconditioned.

4. What is whe warranty on the proposed rewind? May be better for piece of mind then risking an ebay D.O.A.

5. The bike is a 1990 Kawasaki ZZR600 (D1), It is my local kawasaki dealer who offered the rewind.

Maybe it is a better decision to trust their work than some random Ebay junkie posting parts from overseas.

Thankyou for your advice at least now i will be able to ride with headlights on without worrying about my bike dying at the traffic lights.

6. Try the wreckers.