Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OCR scanning? A doddle!!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Apr 15, 2008.

1. I've been trying OCR software for more than 15 years and without exception, despite price and manufacturers' claims, it's been clunky, over-complicated, slow and over-blown in its claims. And that's irrespective of price too.

I've had to scan some pages for a friend out of an old Theology text-book.

So, Google's your mate, right?? I typed in "free ocr software" and got this:

Fast, simple, and astonishingly accurate, I scanned the pages, OCR-ed them and exported them to Word and spent most of the edit time on formating, NOT correcting inaccurate reads. Just fantastic!!!

It's a Windows-only product, sorry to the Penguin and Apple people, but in my opinion, it's a 'must have'.

Highly recommended!
  2. I've never had any problems with the OCR software that came bundled with my Lexmark scanner other than with complex mathematical formulae (which is to be expected). It even copes with diagrams and converts simple line diagrams into Draw objects complete with text box captions.
  3. Most of the time the problem with OCR software is the dpi at which the scanner is set.

I have never had problems with ocr software and have used them for about 10 years in many different models of scanners.

4. +1
  5. I think I know a bit about scanners too, been selling and supporting them for years. But I reckon this programme is more accurate than Omni-Page.

Anyway, horses for courses, I guess.....
  6. Not saying anything about your knowledge Hornet. Just that using that crappy piece of ocr software that hp used to supply with its scanners we were able to convert many theatre plays once we found the right dpi setting for the scanner.

And that was in spanish with its many simbols like á é í ó ú ü ñ ¡ ¿ Ñ etc.

Will :wink:
  7. Sure it wasn't in English but there was some dirt on the glass?
  8. last year when i held a full time job, i was the tester for the implementation of ocr software in the accounts payable department. the organisation spent well over a hundred thousand dollars in software licenses, scanners and ongoing consultation costs.

it never worked, and i'm told to this day it still doesn't work.

i think i might just send the project manager a link to this software to see where his extensive budget could of better been spent.
  9. Folks, I'm not bagging other products, I was just chuffed to find a package so simple, elegant and effective, for free!!!

I sent the company a nice email telling them how much I liked the product and a guy there replied and said thanks; good all round.
  10. Well I had need for doing some OCR so remembering this thread gave FreeOCR a go.
    I was decidedly underwhelmed.
    Yes I know it is free, but. It only does basic OCR, it doesn’t recognize columns, it doesn’t recognize graphics (For either removal or embedding as graphics (Instead you get lots of garbage characters)) And the spelling accuracy was absolutely CRAP!
    In the end it was a down and dirty solution that covered my needs with a lot of manual massaging, but I wouldn’t say it was a good OCR product by any stretch.
    [EDIT]Oh and it didn’t appear that you could scan multiple pages and then OCR the lot at once, you had to scan then OCR one page then scan again and so on[/EDIT]