Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Obtaining m/c licence

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Ebin Moothedom, Apr 13, 2014.

  1. Hello All

    My name is Ebin and I am a new person in this forum and new to Australia (arrived one year back) from India.

    I have been riding motorcycles for the past 22 years and since I have moved to this beautiful country, I do not have a ride. I am getting more and more frustrated when I know I do not have a license to ride in this country and hence I have decided to get one here.

    I do have the Australian open license for CAR, which I got without going through the standard stages of L --> P1 --> P2 as I already hold the Indian license. I sat for the written test, cleared it (after 3 times), went for the driving test, cleared it (after 2 attempts) and hey, I have an open license to drive a CAR, which I dont drive a lot. I want the motorcycle license to keep my peace within.

    I checked the process for obtaining the motorcycle license to ride in this country and I came across these three points.

    * You need to ride LAMS approved motorcycle for 1 year before you can ride the bigger bikes (I totaly agree to this).

    * You need to hold an OPEN licesne for 1 year, before you can apply for motorcycle license (RL class ?). (Do I ? even if I hold a full Indian license)

    * You cannot just obtain "R" license, even though you hold an international license and been riding for most of your life. You still need to go through all the stages above?

    I live in Brisbane, and I work full time, Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm. I have no means to get in touch with QLD road transport on a weekend to clarify my questions and I have sent few emails to the general email, but no response.

    Any one who knows about these procedures inside out, or anyone who has obtained a M/C license without going through the standard procedure because they hold an international license, what are your answers ?

    I want to ride. Ride and ride more.
  2. Can't you call them during business hours? Like during your lunch break?
  3. Or... do the real Aussie thing and take a sickie? :rolleyes:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. You can also call and speak to the Q-ride Company you will use as they will be able to answer all your questions. We had international Riders in my Q-ride Course.
    Google Q-RIde and call some of them they are all very friendly as they would like to take your money in exchange for a licence

    Good Luck
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Well well, after the first post I posted in April, last year, I have obtained the open class rider license, and is almost getting a bike, probably next week. I will post the details in the appropriate section. Thanks for all the support :)
  6. Congrats Ebin, enjoy the hunt for a bike.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Well done Ebin. I also am able to the Q Ride R licence assessment, but at the moment, I am too much of a cheapskate to fork out the dollars for it. I am also quite happy on my Honda CB500X so haven't seen the need to upgrade.
  8. Wish the RE license would roll over to the opens like the car license does. anyone know why the corporation has done it this way?
  9. To assess whether you can handle a bigger / more powerful bike before letting you loose on the road with one - plus gov'ts holy grail = money.
  10. fair enough. I am fortunately have a Q-ride assessor who is pretty fair with looking at how people ride. if you can prove that you aren't an idiot and can show you can deal with the other (takes deep breath) dare I say "Idiots" on the road you'll pass. still would suck if your way out west and can't do the advance course. is there a way that people out that far can do that. just curious.