Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Observing some pretty ordinary low speed handling lately

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by pro-pilot, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Would be great, sign me up!

2. Already master of the road and my domain

0 vote(s)
  3. Only if I pick up some cool tricks

0 vote(s)
  1. Have been seeing quite a few riders around Melbourne last week or so displaying some very bad low speed turns and really bad U-turnd, with one dude clipping the mirror of a parked car.
    Another abandoned his U-Turn and mounted the curb almost taking out pedestrians, braking hard and nearly tipping the bike in front of them.

Would be good to have a few mentor sessions at some coffee get togethers so get some new (and old) riders comfortable with executing slow turns and manouvers, especially in this wet weather.

Things such as puddle avoidance, not exceeding lean angles over metal road plates, gravel and mud. Principals of throttle and back brake control in low speed turns, and doing the basics of figure eights!!

Got my original licence from the UK, where courses and test are far more involved than here in Melbourne. As far as the test goes here, your not required to do u-turns! :shock:
  2. This is the stuff I try to help people with in slow-speed carpark sessions. Tight circles, figure eights, emergency braking, u-turns, bla bla bla. It's as useful to me as it is to the noobers.
  3. Lucky you are not in Brissy, I would be SURE you had seen me around :oops:
  4. I think learners should commute to the city to develop their low speed skills. Actually alot of learners do, either for tafe/uni/work so you can usually work out which ones go in traffic alot :D
  5. Thats what i Spent Saturday doing... when it wasn't raining that is.

Sintered Pads on the SPADA are great...really short stops.

u turns are shaky but i was practicing on narrow country roads. I'm fine on a standard suburban road. If there is such a thing.
  6. My low-speed skills are nothing to be proud of, but I have improved heaps with the little commuting I do every day. :grin:

I'll certainly be practising these skills more soon. Better getting some practise in a safe enivonment rather than waiting until you're forced to in peak hour.
  7. when I first got my L's last year, I spent 2 months in a car park garage - this went from not being able to ride on the idle speed to being able to ride around on idle speed (no trottle but the bike has enough power to go forward at the speed of a person walking)

then I started on tight U-Turns and figure eights and weaving around the car park's pillars.

I ride a virago and now - from doing all that everyday and getting paid off by my friend and probably lead poisoning in the process cos I used to smoke up the car park, I can do really tight u-Turns (with excessive counter weight leaning) and maintain it and even go around in circles.
    (I could stay circling the MOST test allocated u-turn box no joke)

but maybe it was the bike - cos the virago does give you alot of turning power - but anyways - it's good to practice :)
  8. Once I got used to 'upright' U-turns, I started practicing U-turns in my local parking area by tipping the bike right in and leaning the opposite way. Full lock into the turn, slip the clutch with constant throttle - Balance is controlled by the rear brake.. Less brake if you start to "fall in", more brake if you're going to "fall out" of the circle.

By tipping the VTR in like this it's possible to U-turn in a space not much wider than the length of the bike itself. (!) Yeehaw. :)

I love slowriding, myself - I don't know why so many learners are afraid of it. Well, scratch that, I do know why people hate slowriding - It's a challenge, sure, but the rewards you get from practicing it are great.

No more duckwalking/dabbing in slow traffic. Hell, no more bothering with putting a foot down when you stop at a stopsign. :grin:
  9. what! you guys dont have to do U-turns as port of your bike test?

that is very silly. Its a vital skill in everyday riding, I am sure i do one at least every day.
  10. HART teaches some of the principles in performing extremely tight + slow turns in the course. I'm sure the other training providers do too?

But yes, we aren't actually tested on our ability to U-turn. We are only tested on straight-line slowriding (18 metres in >10 seconds), as far as slow technique is concerned.
  11. Hehe that sounds like fun! I'm an expert at riding slowly :wink:
  12. But it's not cool to practice riding slowly! I'd rather overcommit to corners and pretend I am learning to ride fast!
    I agree entirely, riders don't try to master low speed stuff, they go straight to warp 9. I mentioned in anotehr post yesterday, I saw a rider come into a service station and clip a petrol bowser hard!

Regards, Andrew.
  13. the U-turns is part of the learners course with Metal in Darwin
    in fact I was quite shocked to find out they dont do it down here in Vic
    as far as I am concerned its a essential skill

14. Yeah! Supposedly one of the trainers at Tullamarine HART can do it in about 1 minute 45. :LOL:
  15. I've done a reasonable number of 'one on one' low speed mentor sessions with riders.
    I agree....low speed handling is very important for practical reasons and also goes along way to improve a riders confidence and general understanding of their bikes balance/weight/control aspects.

You can be as good as you like ripping through the twisties, but nothing will make yuo look like a GOOG quicker, than falling over while trying to do a simple u-turn or negotiate a car park. - all those people laughing! :grin:

I'm happy to help riders out anytime if they'd like to give me a yell via PM, or I'll turn up if a day is organized someplace "unofficially'.
  16. Yah, me too.

I think the hardest part with teaching slowriding is, it's trivially easy to show and explain the basics of it. Feathering the clutch, the rear brake, all that.

But aside from demonstrating the basics, slowriding is just something that has to be practiced. Every time you approach traffic lights, every time you crawl onto the footpath to park, every time you do a U-turn... It's a chance to play the silly little game of Trying Not To Put Your Feet Down.
  17. Yeah, we should all be practising slow riding techniques, everytime we get on the bike - there is ample opportunity, just that alot of people either don't know the fundimetals or just get lazy. It's not hard to demonstrate it, but putting it into practice when it's not familiar can be difficult.
  18. Ok, I'm not that bad! I just struggle with the full-lock turn, no matter how much my patient mentor has tried :?

And boy I can do an awesome straight line :LOL: