Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Observations of a new rider

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by DKEL, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Firstly, hello everyone.

I have been reading this forum for a while and have found many of the entries very helpful as i have gone about buying a bike and getting my L's.

Now i have been riding for a month and a half and have clocked up about 300km. I would still classify myself as very much a beginner and so far i have only been sticking to local roads, to and from work, and havent even gone into anything over an 80kph zone yet.

One thing that has surprised me a bit is the treatment you get from some cars (cages i think is the term here). The majority have been fine but everynow and then i keep coming across some fool that pulls a really dangerous move, cutting in etc. I had never noticed this so much when i drive my cage. But on a bike of course, you really do notice. I have been learning how important it is to hold your position on the road, seems that if you give some of them the slightest hint of moving right or left they want to try come up along side! Of course i knew there would be a bit of this but its just that in my experience so far its been a bit more prevalent then i had predicted.

Have others noticed any factors about riding that they were a bit surprised about?
  2. Yep, some drivers actually move over to allow you to lane split.

No, it wasn't Brian :p
  3. Yep, they do it to everyone. I hate it when they sit right up your behind. I find lots of people don't see you and the ones that do still act like you're not there and come way to close for comfort.

I found that holding your position was very important too. It really helps when a cager is thinking of doing something stupid, depending on where you have positioned yourself well help deter them...help not stop.

Keep riding safe DKEL

Cheers Tom
  4. Yep, last night I noticed that dead possums can pose as much of a threat as live ones cans.
  5. You sure would as that is probably not even 1 full tank of petrol worth riding :LOL:

Jokes aside, It is good to see you thinking positive and having the right attitude however. It is strange how invisible we seem to cagers isn't it!!! It's a battlefield out there so.....straighten up and ride right!

6. Welcome DKEL

I know what you mean, you just have to have your guard up all the time.

Enjoy your riding and take care. :grin:
  7. Unfortunately, idiot is synonymous with cager, yes they are all nuts, every single one of them, I have this...strong dislike of cagers and there cages, you got to realy refine your observation skills out there, and develop 360 degree vision, cos I tells ya, they aint got brains!

ride safe man.
  8. Unfortunately, to give yourself the best chance of survival, you must expect that each driver will make the most unexpected move while you're around. :(

Be prepared.

That's life.

And welcome to the forum. :)
  9. Welcome DKEL, to the wild and almost-always unpredictable world of motorcycling, and to the bestet forum for riders going.

If you develop a moving paranoia and 360 degree peripheral vision, that should bring you up to about level with the car-driving population. Stay alert and think for the other wally, because he or she isn't! :grin:
  10. It's best to try avoiding traffic if you can. Try riding in the gaps, eg: at lights you lanesplit and take off fast, putting some distance between you and the pack of cars, now if you can avoid speeding and catching up to the next pack you have some clear road to ride in for a while.

It might be hard in peak hours or very heavy traffic but if it's not too congested you should be able to work out some space for yourself.
  11. the biggest suprise i found on the bike was roundabouts. i always try for eye contact to try and gauge whats going through the drivers mind and i have had a huge amount of cars see me when they should be giving way to the right, but instead have just driven straight through like I was to be ignored like a pushbike. you can actually see them hesitate for a second, but then turn their head and push on through anyway. usually the best way to ride is like the driver can't see you at all, reading the traffic, posistioning yourself all that crap. but then you hit a roundabout where you cant avoid crossing paths. 4wd soccer mums seem to rate as the most deadly in my books, oblivious to the outside world.
  12. I'm 1 year down and 10000km , and I also consider myself very much a beginner.

And welcome. This is a great place to get involved with other riders and learn heaps of stuff that you don't get taught in training.

As mentioned in posts, the biggest surprise I have found is how hard it is for some people to see you on a bike. They are so complacent with looking for cars and trucks that a bike just doesn't register - it is called a Scotoma. Scotoma = injury/death to riders unless you develop habits that prevent other people's actions(or inactions) from harming you.

13. Hmmmmm. Ignored LIKE a pushbike. That would in a small roundabout be doing similar speed to you. With far worse brakes. EEeek I think you and I have nearly met before :(
  14. Spoken like an ignorant car driver! You sure you ride?

A push bike has every right and responsibility on the road as you on a motorbike, or that moron in the car! Just remember that leather protection you have is made of lycra for the push bike rider, think of the damage you could do to him/her if you "ignore "them, not to mention yourself and then the legal ramafications. They are just one level lower on the road 'food chain'(truck, car, motorbike, pushbike) than the motorbike rider!
  15. and on the newbies are learning stuff front. This from a cycling newsgroup.

I know what you mean about pack riding being daunting in
    the beginning. When I got my road bike last year, my brother in law was
    nagging me to join him on beach road (Melbourne's cycling mecca).
    I had read about pack riding, the hand signals, the close riding, the
    snobbism, hey a rider has joined our pack with non matching shoes, time
    to up the pace, etc....
    Anyway, the first time there, I was a little nervous about it. It
    wasn't long after we started that a pack went by. My brother-in-law
    nodded, and we hopped on the back. It was a reasonable size, around 15.
    As we went along, others joined the back, and we swelled to about 30,
    with us right in the middle. The hand signals were in full swing, and I
    watched the front of the pack, where some riders were rotating, sharing
    the load into the wind. I wondered if the rotation would reach back to
    us, and we would have to do some work at the front.
    As I was thinking that, the guy in front of me pulled out, and waved me
    Wow, first time in a pack, and I'm being waved into the rotation. Maybe
    they can see potential in me. Nervous, and excited I moved up next to
    As I caught up, we exchanged hellos. Then he said those words that
    still ring in my ears today.
    "hey mate. Just thought I'd better tell you before others notice, but
    you've got your helmet on backwards"...

Time stood still....
  16. I totally agree with that, people in the city / pretend 4WD's seem to be deadly in my books, I think they buy the things becuase they think there kids are going to be safer in it or something. The real 4WD owners seem heaps better, as do people in larger Van and trucks.
  17. What is it with motorcyclist who think they corner the market on road Driving/Riding ability.
    No need to be self righteous here.
  18. I totally agree with that, people in the city / pretend 4WD's seem to be deadly in my books, I think they buy the things becuase they think there kids are going to be safer in it or something. [/quote]

I would like to see the stats for you to back up this brain wave.
    Its stupid making blank statments like that.
  19. Sometimes it's reasonable to go with the evidence thats provided to you. Part of my personal safety instinct tells me to get the hell out of any situation that involves a Toorak Tractor, because they're even less likely to see you or be aware of what's going on around them than any other car driver.

And I include myself in that, when I drive a car I nearly go to sleep - at least, compared to the level of awareness I have when riding.
  20. Could be personal prejudice, but they seem to be the ones who tail gate me and thats my pet hate :evil: :evil: