Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Obeying building site workers using 'lollypop' signs?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Mouth, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Anyone know (or link to) the the laws, if any, about requiring to obey the slow/stop lollipop sign of bulding site workers?

Near my work, there is long term building works and they are always using a lollipop block block to stop road traffic for trucks entering/exiting the building site. It's near a reasonable size intersection, and the building site entry is next to where traffic queues awaiting the green light.

One particular guy will step out in front of stopped/awaiting cars in the red light queue with the stop sign, and once the cars in front have moved forward/off after getting the green light he expects you (and others behind) to wait whilst (i) a truck from the right-hand side - turning across your path and into the building site, or (ii) a truck exiting the building site and on the road. Why he cant wait until all cars waiting for teh green light have been able to move off before putting out the stop sign and catching any new cars that might arrive is beyond me.

This morning, I lane split (at no more than jogging speed - it's a tight fit at this spot) whilst the cars were stationery and beyond this guy that was standing in front of a van about 5 or 6 cars back. I got to about the 3rd or 4th car back and had to stop because there was no space. A few seconds later this guy appeared beside me and was abusing me for not stopping at his stop lollipop (apart from teh fact that I didn't see him or it until I was passing due to him being obstructed by the van) and he also started telling me that he was law and he was sending my details/rego to local police for them to issue a ticket.

Apart from the fact that I don't think police will issue a tickets anyways even if he did send them my rego, I've checked VicRoads site and can find no mention of laws pertaining to bulding site workers using slow/stop lollipops - only laws pertaining to lollipop usage for school crossings or on-road roadworks.

2. Paging Joel, Joel to the thread please. Paging Joeel.
  3. Very interesting question, I'd like to know the answer.

Probably depends on who it is, but if its not gvt roadworks, I think their powers are zinch.
  4. Jason, if it's a regular "STOP" sign that's held, then it has the same effect as being permanent whilst displayed.
    I'll try find the ruling ,,

EDIT: found it
    101. Hand-held stop signs
    (1) A driver approaching a hand-held stop sign must stop before reaching the
    Penalty: 3 penalty units.
    (2) The driver must not proceed until the holder of the sign—
    (a) no longer displays the sign towards the driver; or
    (b) otherwise indicates that the driver may proceed.
    Penalty: 3 penalty units.

source: VicRoads
  5. I was under the impression that they do have the power, but only if they have the correct authority/licence etc to do so. How you would check if they do, I have no idea. Surely they can't just give that sort of authority to any d#ck who can hold a sign up.
  6. Why not Mark?, they already hand over too much authority to 'monkeys' behind the counters of so many of our high level governmental depts :p
  7. You're pretty much spot on Mark.
    Unless they have a signed off traffic management plan the dude is jaywalking. I dont know how traffic management for "private" purposes goes down with Vicroads but thats what you need for public road works. As usual a bit of bluff goes a long way. Until there are tears anyway :LOL:

Mouth - Have a word to the local fuzz and suggest some of these people are putting themselves and traffic in danger.

Steady Vinnie, steady :wink:
  8. My understanding too. Also, to further complicate matters I think there is a council training/lisencing scheme and a state one and different rules apply to each separately. (don't flame my if I'm wrong as I'm very shaky on this).

Also I understand there are rules. They can't just stop all traffic instantly just because the peggies ute needs to get morning tea. Seems like the guy described in the OP is abusing his power a bit.
  9. Without that traffic management permit his power is totally zero. Even then they don't give that power out lightly. If it is a building construction site than it's very likely he doesn't have that appropriate traffic management permit as councils don't give them out lightly.

At events like the GP run and the Toy Run, we have traffic management permits etc. etc. and even with all that the power the marshals have is quite restricted.
  10. #10 junglist, Sep 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
    in NSW developers need to submit a Development Application to council stating all the things they will do as part of their construction and operation stages of development.

if part of their DA application covers heavy vehicle entry/exit management then the council will have had to sign off on it as part of their approval.

even if they don't have a specific licence for traffic control, i'd suggest that they probably have approval from council to do it (through other channels).

I'm not sure if its any different in victoria but a lot of things in NSW go the way of the developer because they are good for the economy, and the councils make a motza from their fees and charges.

you forget that councils LOVE development and HATE motorcycles.
  11. There are exceptions to every rule, someone has to try keep those monkeys looking competent :wink:
  12. no company would put him on the road unless he had his road management licence, work cover would shoot them if they tried it... provided he has all the correct signs out he has full control and can stop and hold you for as long as he has a need to. take notice of the stop sign it should be round instead of the normal hexagonal sign, thats because at the normal sign you have to stop but then can move off if you think its clear ahead. round you have to stop till its changed. he may be a bit gung hoe about it all but work safe and the unions have a big push on at the moment about just how many workers are being injured by people not obeying sighns...... scary just how many
  13. At the moment I'm working in infrastructure development. I've taken over some responsibility for several large TAFE building projects through the state and I'm on the Project Control Group for each. Before you get the permit from council you have to satisfy them that it's absolutely necessary and that you can't do the job without it. It's probably easier to deal with Councils for the Toy Run & GP Run! :evil:

Councils are pains in the neck!
  14. Several of our staff (including me) have this short course certificate and we have the stop signs and the safety vests to reduce potential for accidents when heavy vehicles exit our depots.

It is considered to be a stop sign for the purposes of the law (which others have mentioned) and it's been our experience that police will take some action when complaints are lodged (provided some details are supplied).
  15. I have controller certificate #2418 but that doesn't give me the right to walk out into traffic with a sign and stop vehicles whenever I get the urge.
    The OP is, if I'm reading it correctly, is about the persons authority to do that and the way traffic is separated for the absolute convenience of the construction site.
  16. Zackly
  17. Maybe, maybe not

This is the point you have missed every time you stand up and beat your chest MG.
    They're not working on a "road". They're working on private property.
  18. The point you reference applies to the person directing the traffic, not to the other site workers and they are most definitely working on a "road", since they are standing on it whilst directing said traffic. That "road" becomes their workplace for the purposes of this legislation.
  19. The key word in may statement is "instantly". I think you'll find that if the authorities found out an operator was inconveniencing traffic just for the convenience (rather than the safety) of the work site, they would quickly have their permit removed.