Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

O/T Separating Voice from Music on songs

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Guest, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Sorry that this is off the motorbike track :wink: .

But does anybody know if it is possible to Separating Voice from Music on songs. To create backing tracks etc.

2. There is a plugin for winamp that takes the voice out of most songs.

Nullsoft DSP - I think it is called.

It only works really well on songs that are in stereo, and when the voice is coming from the centre (ie from both speakers at the same time).

edit - It also has a tempo control built in which can speed up or slow down a song by up to 50%. Lots more fun in my opinion, but maybe not as helpful to you.

If you slow down Mariah Carey by about 25%, she starts to sound an awful lot like Luther Vandros. Coincidence? I don't think so!
  3. Thanks very much mate, I just wanted to try to make some backing tracks :grin:

EDIT: Anyone know how to use it???? :? :oops:
  4. I asked the missus who's a muso and who writes and records her own stuff. She said that it was nigh on impossible to do. Once a song is mixed it's usually impossible to separate the tracks. Depending on the song it could have a dozen or more tracks, including vocals, backing or rythm vocals. Once they're mixed down, it becomes one big clump of data.

It'd be handy if you could. They'd make great karaoke tracks, given that what you hear at the pub are usually poor imitations of the real thing.
  5. Thanks for your help mate :grin: :grin:
  6. P J - PM Stookie and ask him, he'll have the gear or software you need
  7. or you could do what I do & record your OWN backing tracks.
  8. Thanks I will :grin:
  9. Can't be done perfectly, or even well. To filter out the frequency range of the voice, you lose a lot of the music.

10. Sir_b is on the money. I just couldnt be assed explaining.

Ask the baker to take the salt out your bread after its baked.......

Same with audio.
  11. from what I remember when recording, the only way to chop out the vocals after the track is mixed is to remove all the signal from the usual vocal frequency range in the centre of a stereo track.

This will also remove any other instruments that happen to be in this range, but will be ok for a basic backing track...

I even think windows sound effect processor (It came standard on my xp) has an option to do this on playback of songs...

You could simply record the signal while it is playing with this option ticked?

This is all from memory though! haven't done it for a few years.
  12. Yeah, thats the one.

Well worth a look, as I said, if only for the pitch control. You'll spend hours turning all your favourite artists into chipmunks!

The voice remover in this one doesn't cancel out frequencies as other people have alluded to above;

Most songs play their backing on the left an right channels very slightly out of sync with each other in order to make the sound sound like its coming from further apart than it really is. A bit like some manufactures build in "Simulated surround" into 2-speaker TVs and stereos. The sound sounds like its coming from speakers wider apart than they really are.
    However, the voice track is played (usually) in perfect sync, which makes it sound like its coming from right in between the two speakers.
    This Nulllsoft DSP program simply takes out any audio that actually is in perfect sync, and leaves that which is not. The result in some songs can be quite amazing. I remember a really good example that worked was a song called 'POP' by N'Sync (because their voice track IS 'in sync' :) )

Non-stereo songs don't work at all, and some stereo songs either have their voice tracks out of sync or too much of their backing tracks in sync, and so don't work really well either.

Hope this further explanation helps!