Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

O-ring or Non O-ring chain? What's the difference...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by s3cret, Nov 9, 2006.

1. I have a question which someone could hopefully help me out with - Is there any major difference between chains with o-rings or chains without them (except for the o-rings)? I was curious because I need to get hold of a new chain (my current bike has an o-ring chain) and i've noticed chains without o-rings are substantially lower in price.

Thanks in advanced...

2. Bugger all difference on a scooter but big difference with hi torque/hi power bikes. Your profile doesnt say whats between your legs (mine doesnt either but I didnt ask the question) O or X rings are the way to go for most modern bikes IMHO.

But I can be corrected!

3. From what I've been told the O ring helps keep the crap from getting in wher the links rub and therefore the chains last longer. I've always used O ring chains just to be on the safe side

4. An O Ring chain also keeps its lubrication a lot longer, so can be oiled in greater intervals than a non o ring chain. The bonus there is it will likely last a lot longer and you don't need to clean the crap it flicks off onto your back wheel as often!

5. O-rings are the go.

The rings keep grit and crap fron getting in between the rollers and the sideplates to the pins themselves - so wear is slower.

I still lube an o-ring chain just as often as a non o-ring. The o-rings, after all, can't stop wear between the rollers and the sprocket teeth.

Shiny rollers = a chain that's not looked after and won't last.

TIP - (I'm sure this has been covered before) use a good quality chain WAX, rather than an oil. Much less flick-off and mess. And apply AFTER a decent ride - the warm chain absorbs the lube more thoroughly, the wax sets as the chain cools, and the flick off when next you ride is negligible.

Right-o. Back to my pipe and slippers, now.....

6. Chians without seals are an industrial thing. They are not made for the big speed variations and the dirts that those on motorcycles have to put up with.

7. o ring chains

Hi - maybe a silly question but I am replacing the chain and sprockets on my RGV 250 and I need some advice on how to assemble the master link. I know the eye of the spring clip must face the direction of travel. :shock:

I need to know where the 4 O-rings go and general assembly of the master link tips.

Anyone help me? :idea:

8. Re: o ring chains

That depends on where the link is on the chain though - easiest way to remember is that the closed end of the link points towards the direction the chain travels. As for fitting the link the o-rings are designed to go between the side plate and the link (there's a raised edge around the holes in the link that they seat around). When assembling the link first thing is to get the side plate that has the two pins (rollers) attached and make sure it's thoroughly greased (most come pre-coated) - it's very important that this remains perfectly clean (don't go dropping it on the ground) otherwise you'll just create a grinding paste inside the chain. Next slip an o-ring over each roller and push it through the links you're joining from the inside edge of the chain. Then slip the remaining 2 o-rings over the rollers on the outside edge followed by the side plate. Next step is to compress the link so that the o-rings seat properly around the raised edge of the link. Easiest method I've found is to take the side plate you took off the old chain and slip it over the new one (ie where you'd put the retaining clip) - making sure the holes line up. Then simply use a pair of vice grips to squeeze the side plates together (using the old plate prevents the ends of the rollers hitting the vice grips). Make sure you take care when doing this to make sure the o-rings don't get pinched or damaged. Once the rollers are poking through enough rotate the chain until the join is sitting on the rear sprocket - this will make it much easier to fit the clip since it'll stop the chain from moving. Fitting the clip is just a matter of pushing it over the groove in the rollers - I find a flathead screwdriver and a hammer works well if you're careful.