Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National NZ releases draft motorcycle safety strategy for public comment

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Hot off the presses, New Zealand has released a motorcycle safety strategy heavily focussed on "Safe System" principles. See the official page here: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/consultation/draft-safer-journeys-for-motorcycling-guide/index.html Download the document here: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/consultatio...s-for-motorcycling-guide/docs/draft-guide.pdf

The purpose is to make riding a motorcycle safer right? I think that I can assess the flavour of the document by using a quick word search.
    • "training" appears 14 times.
    • "skill" appears 10 times.
    • "protective" appears 8 times.
    So it appears that in a 65 page document focussed on improving rider safety, there's not much focus on the actual rider...

So how are they going to make motorcycling safer? Well... "speed" however appears 157 times, while "safe system" appears 75 times and "roadside" appears 59 times... :-k So just based on word search, it seems that the safety strategy is focussed on crashing safely. :?

(Interestingly, "Hi-visibility" appears once. "Conspicuity" three times. "Visibility" appears 11 times... so there doesn't seem to be an inordinate focus on hi-viz in the strategy - but visibility appears as often as skill... that's a worry.)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks for posting rob. Its not as bad as the word search leads you to believe.

There is only a copule of reference to speeding over the limit, your search is more picking up the many references to inappropriate speed.

Couple of interesting points tha i picked up on.

1. Motorcyclng only approx 11 times more dangerous per vehicular hour than cars in NZ. This is a lot better than the 30 times thrown around by our safetycrats.

2. A lot of discussion about how to make roads safer for motorcyclists to prevent fatalitles. Including sight lines and barriers. They seem to focus on rural accidents which are primarily motorcyclists fault, through inadequate hazard perception. They talk about ways to reduce this.

It is interesting that they have put so much focus on rural. I think this is a bit of a shortcoming, but i didnt write it.

3. A mention to move away from a 250cc for learners to lams. Some suggestions about a possible further tier someone else might want to comment on this.

4. No mention of fluro gear, but a mention of healight modulators which is interesting. I believe these are currently illegal here. It will be funny if they legalise them here to follow a move from nz. I personally think they headlight modulators and fluro is in the same barrel. If cages dont look for a "on" headlight then those two dont work either. But i will shut up as i want to keep it factual.

Overall not that negative. Some good reasons why we crash, all motorcyclists should look at that and understand why we crash to lesson the chance that it will happen to you.

Ill post more later when i have had a better read
  3. Thanks VC. Appreciate the comments.
  4. I don't believe modulators are illegal here. 'flashers' would be. in my understanding of it is the difference between flash (on-of-on-of) and rapidly increasing/decreasing the brighness.
  5. Have you done a word search for 'MUARC' yet?

Methinks the Road Safety Exploitation Industry has found a new target market.
  6. Headlight modulators are specifically legal in Australia. I can't remember now where the black letter law actually sits because it's now several years since I was involved in such things and I have no personal interest in the matter but it certainly exists.
  7. Actually, let me take back some of my cynicism:

Perhaps, but it can be reduced with training.

Possibly a positive, but it depends on what this means.

I'll take this at face value, but what do these stakeholders think?

We know that covert penalisation doesn't work.

In other words, blanket reduction on some roads? Our experience has been that using punitive speed limits to discourage overall riding exposure does not work. I don't (yet) believe that NZ are being that cynical, but this is nevertheless a very blunt instrument kind of approach. It is once again based on the notion that punishment is the primary road safety tool.
  8. Just on the point about roads, there's no doubt that if you design a road so that it's safe for motorbikes you make it safe for everyone.

The AMC website has an article about a road in Europe that had a concerning crash and fatality rate. The rates dropped to virtually zero once it was treated with safe road safe systems principles.

I have no concerns with making roads safer, but I do find the total lack of making better road users baffling.
  9. First time I've ever seen a strategy that says that it is intended to raise the crash rate... :)

First off they say:

The crash risk for motorcycling is estimated to be 18 to 20 times greater than that for vehicle drivers

then they say:
    While we ideally want to achieve a zero fatality rate for motorcyclists, we’ve set a goal to bring NZ into line with overseas jurisdictions which have the best safety record, such as the Australian state of Victoria.

So, since the TAC claim we're 38 times more likely...

Obviously they're going to have to work to bring the risk up by another 20 times. 8-[
    • Like Like x 3
  10. The future is now...

Tas - 90kmh rural road speed limit plan
  11. Words are wiggly worms, aren't they? And facts are flexible fellows. That's what they've learnt from Victoria.
  12. P49, visible automated and manual enforcement is recommended by he Kiwis