Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NZ] Police bike blitz in NZ... but check out the stats.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Nov 11, 2010.

1. NZ police are mounting a bike blitz, cough, safety awareness campaign - but checkout the parts I've highlighted in bold red. :? :-k

I conclude that it's much much much safer to ride in NZ, than VICTORIA with the mo$t $afety $camera'd in any juri$diction in the whole world...

If only VicPol had this kind of attitude towards riders! I think I'd keel over if Ken Lay spoke so clearly and with apparent empathy... rather than the beige cardi pandering PR we usually see. :(

Question: Where do NZ get their stats from?? :-k How can Motorcyclists be at the same time 18 and 38 times more likely to be injured in a crash compared to cars? Either NZ or Vicroads are wrong... guess who I have my money on?

I love to know how NZ's stats compares to Australia. The central district's fatality or serious injury rate per 10000 rego's would be a very interesting number.

That's the second press release in two days that shows a bloody huge amount of common decency and sense... I never thought I'd say this, but WE NEED MORE KIWI's!!!

Anyway, check it out:
    - - - - - - --

A month of motorcycles

11 November, 2010 - 13:04

If you are a motorcyclist or moped rider and are involved in a crash, the risk of you being killed or seriously injured is approximately 18 times greater than if you are in a car.

That is why Highway Patrol staff in Central District are about to embark on a month-long motorcycle safety and awareness campaign.

In Central District alone 14 riders have been killed in the last two years, and New Zealand has seen an increase in deaths since 2005 partly attributed to thequadrupling of motorcycle registrations since 2000.

Senior Sergeant Kris Burbery said: "Fuel prices, congestion, environmental awareness, and a rise in popularity among more mature riders has also accounted for some of the increase."

From Monday, 15 November, through to Sunday 19 December, Police will be proactively speaking to motorcycle and moped riders. They will be focusing on vehicle conditions, safety equipment, clothing, licences, rider behaviour and legal compliance.

Checkpoints and surveys will also be a part of the campaign with the support of partners agencies such as ACC. All motorcyclists and moped riders will be provided with a safety flyer.

"The risks are particularly high for this specific group of motorists. We fully accept that crashes involving motorcyclists are not always the fault of the rider, but there are still safety measures riders can take to improve their chances,' said Senior Sergeant Burbery. "A number of police staff are avid motorcyclists, so we are personally aware of the danger and vulnerability of being on a motorcycle.

"Although enforcement will be an element of the campaign, the primary focus is education and promoting improved safety and riding practices. Longer days and warmer weather will see more riders take to the roads and we want them to make sure that they get home again safely.

"We hope this operation will give us a good understanding of motorcycles and motorcyclists in the District and a success for us would be to find that our riders are travelling safely, their bikes are up to standard and they have the required licences."

Some key safety tips are as follows:
    • Make sure you have appropriate licence for the size of motorcycle.
    • Ensure the vehicle is safe, registered and warranted.
    • Make sure you wear the appropriate safety clothing and footwear. No bare skin and jandals!
    • Make sure you wear an approved safety helmet.
    • It is mandatory to always have a headlight on if riding on a motorcycle on the road.
    • Ensure you comply with any conditions of a graduated (learner or restricted) drivers' licence.

Media enquiries should be referred to Communications Manager Kim Perks on 027 234 8256.

- - - - - - - - - - -
  2. Playing devil's advocate, and there's no greater devil than Vicroads, it's perfectly possible that the risks of riding a motorcycle in NZ are 18 times that for NZ car drivers whilst being 38 times here in Victoria in comparison to Victorian car drivers.

Lies, statistics and all that jazz.
  3. Two syllables that'd make up the difference:

4. Having just come back from a few weeks in the South Island (by car unfortunately) I think it's because all you see on some of the best motorcycle roads anywhere are motorcycles, hirecars and campervans.

Mind you, all urban speed limits are 50km/hr - even a two lane each way divided road...
  5. even the 18x is better worded.

IF you have an accident you are 18x more likely to be seriously injured than if you were driving a car

NOT you are 38x more likely to be seriously injured just by jumping on your bike
  6. I've sent off a request to the NZ police media unit for their reference supporting the stat AND a link to their fatality/injury stats over the decade.

50km/h everywhere urban?? owwwch
  7. its not so bad rob, dedicated highways are as normal, and most major roads are at a reasonable limit until you get lots of side streets/housing.
  8. Basically the same as the UK, and that didn't seem too bad until I came here. Well, apart from a few obviously anomalous cases, with 30mph applied to roads which could plainly support more. Even those were OK because enforcement tended to turn a blind eye rather than treating them as cash cows.
  9. it's not as bad as it sounds robsalvv, i did a 3 week tour of the North/South island with my girlfriend in March, left a trail of maimed kittens in my wake whenever I drove without problems. It was awesome. Beautiful winding motorways/passes across the South island, would love to tour on a bike :)
  10. NZ is on my "todo" list. An adrenalin adventure weekend and a week riding tour as a minimum. Ruski, did you transport your bike or hire?

I got a response from the NZ police media unit. My questions have been directed to the person who created the press release.
  11. Yes, I got done for allegedly doing 60km/h in a 50 zone a few weekends ago. The bit I was allegedly doing this earth shattering speeding, could be considered semi-industrial, with no puppies or children to run out into the street (un-built area), duel carriage way and all that.
    Yet they took 24 hours to turn up when my neighbour got burgled, I guess there’s no money to be made in apprehending burglars. When speeding fines are budgeted for, you have to wonder...

Anyway, since about 2007/8 when the price of petrol went bananas ($2/L), a lot of people flocked to bike shops for anything from scooters to Busa's, Now 91 costs $1.85/L, not much better.

I would say one of the bigger culprits are scooters. All and sundry are jumping on them with the minimum of protective gear (most cases just a helmet). Girls in the city riding around in short skirts and high heels/ dress shoes (quite easy on the eye) and guys in shorts and jandals.
    Yet our rego has basically doubled for 1L bikes and guess what, mopeds under 50cc pay about $100 rego fees and require no WOF (warrant of fitness) and no bike license.

I would also be interested to know if dirt bike accidents are included in their stats, as this sport has also become very popular here in the last few years.
  12. I should have clarified sorry - we borrowed my Grandma's little Renault. I didn't have a bike at the time.
    Interestingly enough (to me lol), the GN250 that I learnt on was NZ stock and shipped over here by my mum when my Granddad passed.
    If you go for your adrenalin weekend I highly recommend the "Nevis Highwire" bungy just outside Queenstown, 134m high jump out of a cable car = good fun.
  13. Another factor is the roads, up here in the Auckland region anyway. Bloody shocking; bumpy as hell, poor surface quality, sometimes even no or negative cambers. Resurfacing on most areas seems like (to the average joe) like they poored some bitumen and then dumped stones over it. This then lies like this for weeks with "loose stones" signs untill it is effectively swept up by road traffic.
  14. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4348931/Police-motorbike-crash-snarls-Auckland-bridge-traffic

15. That's going to be an embarrassing stat - hopefully it will drive a good solid education program for riders and drivers alike.