Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nyora-Poowong - Korumburra Rd - December 2013

Discussion in 'Hazardous Road Condition Reports' at netrider.net.au started by GreyBM, Dec 15, 2013.

1. For the last 18 months this road has had some pretty bad potholes in it on some of the bends on the uphill section going from Nyora to Poowong and more, not quite as bad, on the section past Poowong heading towards Warrigul - Korumburra road.

The good news is that the potholes have finally been patched.

The bad news is that bluestone topping (large gravel) has been left on the road and not swept up, making some of these corners a tad treacherous. Most of the loose stuff is obvious but a couple of the corners are tighter and therefore a bit more blind than others, so exercise caution.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Still there when i went through yesterday, didn't realise how long the bluestone gravel takes to clear, especially since its been 2 weeks since your post and a busy road, sketchy as.

Looks like another shoddy job regardless.

3. I suspect we will have the new set of potholes developed before it all goes.

4. I drive down that area roughly once a month (South Gippsland Highway / Strzelecki Highway) and the road is a joke, even in a car. There is usually a massive (almost full width of the lane and roughly 1 meter long) pot hole just before you get into Leongatha just after a crest, which is extremely dangerous, and they keep patching it but it re-develops a few weeks later...not to mention all the patches make the road like a jumping castle.
    I think I'll have to take the Princes Highway (longer route) when I ride the bike down there :-(

I will be writing to VicRoads and the respective councils soon and I would recommend everyone else to as well and highlight these issues as serious hazards for motorbike riders...maybe they will up their game, but that's doubtful going on their history.

5. I drive down that area roughly once a month (South Gippsland Highway / Strzelecki Highway) and the road is a joke, even in a car. There is usually a massive (almost full width of the lane and roughly 1 meter long) pot hole just before you get into Leongatha just after a crest, which is extremely dangerous, and they keep patching it but it re-develops a few weeks later...not to mention all the patches make the road like a jumping castle.
    I think I'll have to take the Princes Highway (longer route) when I ride the bike down there :-(

I will be writing to VicRoads and the respective councils soon and I would recommend everyone else to as well and highlight these issues as serious hazards for motorbike riders...maybe they will up their game, but that's doubtful going on their history.

6. Report it to Vicroadsas a hazard to motorcyclists and it will get some priority.

Put it in your mobile.

7. Ahh that'll be much quicker, will do thanks Robsalvv.

8. You're kidding yeah? They'll dig the things deeper.. With the cash earned off the "safety levy" too.

The pot holes in that area have been an ongoing issue for yonks, they obviously don't care or don't have the funding to fix them properly.

They continue to just put up more signs to warn motorist of a potential danger.

9. At least the signage means that it's on a priority list of some kind.

If the roads are DANGEROUS to motorcyclists, especially after some of their works weren't done to their own internal standards, it gets a higher priority.

10. While I agree sometimes (most/all of the time in that area when it comes to the roads) things don't get done / done properly, it is better if people notify them about it, even better if more people notify as it should start to put some pressure on them.
    Writing a letter and CC'ing the local council and perhaps an organisation like RACV may be better as there will be a record of the 'complaint'...but how effective this may be I have no idea...they may even fob it off and say the issue was fixed after letter was sent, but it wasn't or not to a safe standard, and the cycle begins...

Will try with a couple calls first and see how it plays out. Better to do something than nothing at all, even if it doesn't achieve anything; we've done our part.