Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by azza ;>, Jan 13, 2008.

1. hey dudes & gals i have been riding for around a year now and every thing seems to be going great with my bike GSX250F 50,000 km on clock however the other weekend i went for a decent size ride 4hr ? or so to find some what you call twistys. moe warragul noojee mount baw baw back down thru warragul to moe :cool: half way down the hill from mount baw baw i felt a tingling pain down my left fore arm stoped for a bit but the pain didnt go away so i rode home with it. around half an hour for the pain to go which is fine but my middle ring and baby fingers were numb for around 4 days. does this happen to any one else ? could it be over stimulated nervs from vibration ? also on the way down the hill my back brake went faulty? just seemed to go soft i read some where about breaks boiling could that be what happned and if so can some one clue me in on them :?:
    [​IMG] hope you like the pic :grin:

2. Top picture!!!

Vibration is the usual cause of tingly sensations, but I must say that it's unusual for them to go on for four days. If you're riding hard and up in the rev range, (enough to fade away your back brake) then vibrations would be accentuated.

If it happens again, it might be a good idea to see a dictor and run it by someone who knows stuff.
  3. maybe seeing a dOctor might help also :p lol
  4. The main cause of this when riding is pressure on the carpal group of tendons and nerves. If you ride with pressure on your wrists, then you are compressing and potentially straning these parts.

When riding a sports bike, you need to clamp onto the tank with your thighs and only use a very light amount of pressure on your wrists.

This takes a degree of fitness and abdominal work many are not accustom to.

For many people, it limits the number of hours they can take in the saddle when it comes to sports bikes.

Else next time for a choice of bike, get a tourer or naked, where the position is more upright / vertical. This naturally gets the pressure off your wrists.

Hope it helps!
  5. Try and relax your grip, forearms and shoulders.

And try and use your front brake more, instead of the rear. Maybe down a gear would help. Rule of thumb: What ever gear you ride up the hill in, should be the same one you ride down in.

Sound like your having a great time. Keep at it.
  6. hey thanks for the advice yea i would normaly ride down in the same gear but i was low on petrol and so i had it in neutral :oops: i was mainly using the back to take some pressure off the front

i can understand how naked and criusers would be better for this but i realy dont like the took of them all that much as you can probably understand im 23 so im after performance and excitement :wink:
  7. why doese the back break heat up quicker than the front ?
  8. It doesn't, You're using it to much.

And coasting down a hill in neutral is bloody dangerous! :shock: :shock:
  9. fair eneough ill remember that next time thanks for the advice
  10. Braided brake lines will stop the lever from fading.
  11. +1 for relaxing, on my first long ride i got sore after about 250kms because i was tensing up in the twisties and putting to much pressure on the rists. As im doing more and more ks im starting to relax alot more and the distances traveled are becoming easier.It may also be conditioning aswell, do a few more runs and it does get easier.
  12. Not if the fluid is boiling.
  13. Does the bike run drum brakes on the back? they're going to fade once they heat up, which riding the brake down the hill will do.....

i've got the same problem with numbness (although not to 4 days worth...) and i can only put it down to vibration as the CB has a fairly upright position with not much weight on the wrists...
  14. sorry about the replys this morning i'm real hung over/drunk lol hickup :p i have discs on the front and back pretty sure there stock had the pads changed last service "b 4 this trip" . the decent from the ski resort takes like 45 or more munutes and so it makes it fairly enevitable to have too much pressure un the bars because the angle that i was permenently mounted on
  15. brakes

oh i forgot to menchen that my back brake now works fine
  16. yea iv done a whole heap of large rides b 4 if you know the area im in sale and back. invo and coast to wonthaggi. all around thorpedale threw korumburra . probaply done around 7-10 4 hr plus rides so im fairly comfey on the bike

to pro piolet oh and yea iv been squeezing the tank with my legs and using my abdominals to hold my weight up :grin: i can see how it works though i can see how it takes some getting use to ....... findig my self in the wrong position now when entering corners and a bit of a sore back ......... guess ill get use to it soon enough

once again thanks for the great advice guys :wink:
  17. The numbness you wrote of is not uncommon, although I have more often heard about it as a result of using power/petrol tools, like jackhammers, chainsaws, etc.

The recommendations I have had from an OH&S perspective have been the use of padded gloves, reducing the tension of my grip on the handles and reducing/breaking up the amount of time I am exposed to the vibration.

I get a bit of numbness when riding too, so I make a point of trying to shake out/jiggle/revive my right hand when stopped at lights. As one of the common causes for this problem seems to be a reduction in bloodflow and circulation, it tends to help.

18. hey thats an idea i think i might go buy some really good gloves iv got a pair of $30 dry mesh ..... is that too cheap anny suggestions :idea: