Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

numbing vibration

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Doch, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Ahoyhoy.
    As this is my first bike and i've never had to deal with this,I was wondering if anyone has a prefered brand or type of grip for comfort, my gpx has a numbing vibration though the throttle grip so I'm thinking that new grips may be the answer. I've looked at a few types in the local bike shops, which mainly deal with motox, but I dont seem to be able to "feel" any diference between them.
    I do mostly hiway riding with often daily trips of 200k's.
    Please help me netrider.
    Thanx in advance
    Ad :?

2. Do you wear gloves at all ? what type are they ? are they too tight ?
    Generally the thicker and softer the grip the less vibrations are transmitted to your hand. Or you could try heavier bar-ends.
  3. If ur handy with a spanner, you can synch the carbs, out of synch carbs cause a bike to vibrate excessivly.

I managed to find some big, foam grips, like they use on the cruisers and such for my FJ and they are nice and comfy. I had to oder them out of a catalogue from the local bike shop.

The trick is finding the bigger grips in the smaller bar end size. I can't remember the numbers, but most bikes have a smaller bar diameter than the cruiser style bikes.

Regardless, there shouldn't be so much vibration that it's uncomfertable, even without gloves. Have a look into getting the carbs tuned up.

4. Does the GPX have bar-end weights? If it's supposed to, and your's doesn't, this could be part of the problem.

Or you could try these, I'm sure they'd be available here...

But Tim's right; you SHOULD be looking for the SOURCE of the vibration and killing it there; have you checked to see if your engine mounts are tight, etc???
  5. Does it have a balance shaft in need of adjustment?
  6. A bit of vibe is part of motorcycling, and some engine configurations are worse than others. Being a parallel twin, vibration is pretty much par for the course, but it really shouldn't be THAT bad that it numbs you.
    If you are sure the motor is properly tuned and balanced, you could try changing the bar end weights for something heavier, or even those big spongy grips (look a bit naff, tho').
    But maybe you will have to put up with it until you eventually upgrade.
    The new breed of parallel twins seem to be much smoother, but in-line fours are known for producing high frequency "tingles", to varying degrees. V-twins seem to produce a more pleasant kind of vibe, as do V-fours.
  7. i presume this is a gpx250 as it is your first bike, as mentioned all bikes vibrate to some degree but the gpx250 is known for a rattly clutch lever above 8,000 rpm.

i suggest get a major service done by yourself or mechanic and adjust valves and sync carburettors also mixture screws and you'll be supprised what a difference this can do.
  8. Thanx guys I'll get the bike tuned and serviced, valves carbs etc and then go from there.
    Much appreciated
    Ad :)
  9. All the above, but also. . .

As you are new to bikes, your hands haven't toughened up to the vibration yet, but they will. Especially if you ride regularly.

At the same time, you are probably holding on to the bars too tight, as most new riders do. Hanging on tight means not only are the vibrations transmitted to your hands more, but your tight grip also blocks blood flow.

Learn to relax your grip. Try riding with open hands, and just pushing on the handlebars to turn. Hang on to the bike with your knees, not your hands. Search for threads about having a relaxed grip. There are a few where it is mentioned.

Hmmm, actually, I wouldn't go for fat, soft grips, as I would find they interfered with my reach to the levers. But that's just me.
  10. Foam grips. Macleod make some great ones for under $20, you'll wonder what you did before you had them.
    Some bikes (esp Kawasakis) tend to send high frequency vibrations through the bike, especially if engine is solidly mounted.
    A very good tune up wil also help.
    Grey Gentry and Davo know about vibes...the GTR tends to put a few out, I am currently trying to eliminate the vibes from the footpegs.

Regards, Andrew.
  11. i get the same from my SPADA. Not sure if it is just a V2 thing or if ive got a problem somewhere. (other than between the ears)

after about 60-90 minutes hand gets all tingly.... but ONLY the right hand.

I have found deliberately riding with a relaxed grip helps but i still get the tingles. I plan to ask some one more knowledgeable about it when i can but for now i just put up with it
  12. I'd also recommend the foam grips. My ZZR had them, and they were ever-so-comfy. :)
  13. I get exactly the same thing with my Spada. Though i dont really get any vibes, jsut a tingly right hand after a while. I just relax my hands a bit and cruise and it goes away.

14. Yeah sounds like mine.. no shaking but gets tingly......

di big V2's suffer the same issues??..... kinda have my eyes on a SV for an upgrade(when i get to it)..... continued effects like this may dampen enthusiasm
  15. It's perfectly normal, there's nothing wrong with your bike. It's not a V2 thing, it's a 250 thing. At speed they have to rev highly and viabrate a lot as a result. My old CB was shocking for it but I loved the sensation and would deliberately tap my fingers on the table so I could feel the zing. :LOL:

The twins will viabrate more than fours but it's on the bigger bikes that it becomes noticable and happens at lower revs. You soon become acustomed to it though. :)
  16. Oh yeah, my Yamaha XS-650 made a high-frequency 'sizzle' that meant by the time I sold it, the carrier rack was more welds than original metal :LOL:.
  17. ahh sounds about right.... around town its fine (5-7K on the tacho)... only 7-10K revs does it give a tingle.

Oh well i'll just deal with it.... bike is awesome for a little tacker.....
  18. I'm getting not only tingely fingers but also very sore thumb mussels. I've been riding my first bike every day for the last two weeks thinking that the pain would go but it hasn't yet. It's a CBR250. Is this normal and will it eventally go away?

I think that my grip is relaxed but I often lean heavely on the handlebars due to the riding position which places quite some pressure on the effected area.
  19. Ditto

i find that if i consciously hold my elbows in it makes it a bit better
  20. time for some sit-ups people.

there is a nerve in between your thumb and first finger that promotes the grab reflex.
    placing too much weight on your hands for an extended period will turn this nerve off for a short period resulting in pain and numbness.
    the riding position on sports bikes leans towards placing more weight on your hands to hold your body up.

i suggest you relax your grip and work more on supporting your body with your middle-section and gripping with your knee's etc. pretty much everyone does it when they start to ride, its just a matter of conditioning. :)