Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Numbers of bikers

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Sharkin, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Hi guys I'm new to the forum. Cheers for the birthday greetings that came through the other day. I have just got my learners here in Vic having just arrived in sunny Australia. I have been living in the UK and France recently and have realised that are are many more bikes on the road over there than here. I decided to get my licence here because the country is so much more suited to biking (I think) i.e. lack of traffic out of the cities, wide open roads, lack of rain or really miserable weather.

why is there so few bikes? Or maybe its just me?

2. Hi Sharkin and welcome to netrider .
    Sharkin wrote

You sure your in Melbourne :LOL: .
  3. 6 letters, W I N T E R, Although coming over from the UK you may not have realised this yet, most of the (not all) guys and gals on this forum ride through winter although most will grow out of it once they have been riding a little longer.
  4. Different culture, than Europe/Asia.

I've heard lots of reasons for it, but one of my favs is due to the the space to park being at a premium there more bikes.

Similar to USA with number of bikes per head.

Shrug, there does seem to be an increasing trend in Scooters, so who knows, maybe soon we'll see a hell of a lot more two wheeled transport here.

And yep, you're right about having sweet roads down here :)
  5. All of the above, plus the fact that our big cities are tiny (population-wise) compared to European cities and much more spread-out too.

Per capita of population, we are actually one of the most motorcycle-riding nations in the world, they're just spread out over a much greater area (and some of the bikes get spread over a fairly wide area sometimes too!)
  6. I think it is somewhat social - the US and Australia seem to have a generational mentality that sees much of the older generation try and deter the next from riding. In other countries this is not as prevalant, as bikes are often the most economical way to get around. Given our relatively high standard of living, most of us can afford cars and petrol etc, so there is no day-to-day reason to own a bike, they are predominantly for recrational use. If riding was to become genuinely a great deal cheaper, or car driving a great deal more expensive (see other thread going atm), the choice would be more stark and you would likely see more riders on the road commuting out of necessity rather than choice.

Other factors are that given our cities and suburbs are relatively young, metropolitan economies are only a recent evolution - previously the majority of work was based in the country where long distances often needed to be covered with goods/equipment, and the ute was most popular. Bikes were (and still are) most popular for farm use.

As our cities become larger and older, I think we will see bikes and scooters becoming more and more popular as space becomes a premium.
  7. Putting the bike away when the temps drop below 18 degrees and talking about is being some kind of virtue doesn't make someone come across as being privy to a piece of higher wisdom, but rather as being a contemptible softcock and comfort junkie.

Which is pretty much the answer to the OP's question as to why there are so few bikes in everyday use... it's easier to sit in the soothing breeze from the climate control.
  8. 1. wooshy fine weather riders :roll:
    2. australia a lot more bigger than both those countrys and more vaster

3. by the way welcome
  9. Fair point....

Some interesting replies. Another one I thought of was that over there you can ride a scotter/ low capacity bike younger than a car so lots of people start riding before driving.
  10. Yeh, but the main reason, as I said above, is simply that there's heaps more people compressed into a much smaller space.
  11. Don't think about it man, just get a bike and some gear and GET INTO IT, time's a'wastin'! :D
  12. Enjoy the less crowded roads while you can, it'll get busier in the summer. :)
  13. Hello Scott and welcome to Australia. I spent many years in europe as a motorcycle instructor, and yes the difference in motorcycle/scooter attitude here is very different. Yes it is (what they call :roll: ) winter here but even in the warmer months it is a very,very different cycle scene here in Aust than france, spain, G.B, or europe in general.

Still, there are some great roads here and most of them are in much better condition than france! although nothing compares to having so many top class racetracks within a days ride. Here it is phillip island or nothing!
  14. As at the 2003 Census (source:ABS Transport Motor Vehicle Use)

there were 578,475 registered motorcycles in Australia.

Victoria had the most at 103,451 followed by NSW with 99,252

However Queenslanders averaged the most klilometres followed by Tasmanians then Victorians.

15. I think it's mostly cost - or lack of cost driving a car.

Relative to Europe a car is pretty cheap to keep - heaps of parking, cheap fuel, cheap labor etc.

In europe there is no parking, fuel is 30% dearer, traffic conjestion is a nightmare - so a bike in the large cities makes a lot more sense, and is why scooters are everywhere!