Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Number One Pleasure Of The Bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Bravus, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Thread title is pretty self-explanatory: we know that riding has lots of pleasures, but the focus of the thread is on picking and explaining (briefly) the one that is the best/most important to you.

For me, it's about focus. In the cage there's the radio on, often someone to talk to, lots of mind wandering. I think I'm a careful driver, but there's just not that singleness of focus. On the bike, with no music, nothing but the feel and sound and smell of the bike, and my awareness both opens up to take in a kind of gestalt picture of the whole world in terms of situation awareness but also narrows down to the thing I have to do right here, right now to move to the next bit...

2. Making WRX owners cry.

3. Freedom & the true smells of nature

(i must admit cow poo is a shocker though :shock: )

4. Snowy Mountains...dirt road, early morning...camp fire, bacon and eggs...NO TRAFFIC...and the freedom to get there.

5. The acceleration, just a motor and you being hurled down the road. (even on a little 250 :p )

and the smell of bbq's on every third streets when your riding around at night :grin:

6. Personal pleasure is different each day, every ride has it's merrits.
    The best thing for me at the moment, apart from all the aspects mentioned above, for me the most pleasure is received in noticing that my skills are improving.
    Everyday I notice I did something a bit better than the last time.
    I am achieving something.
    I am learning things, I am having a go, and I am good at it!

7. +1 with caz.

Learn something new everyday... gaining confidence and improving with the skills.

8. To truely understand how much you love riding your motorcycle, you first must go without it for over 3 weeks, than, and only than will you begin to appreaciate it, put up with driving a cage for 3 weeks, and you miss all the little things, the air in your face, the smell of the girls perfume 50ft past the actual girl as she walks on the street, the absolute peanuts its costs to run, after 3 weeks, ill be happy to trade my falcon for a postie...hell even a scooter!

9. The one thing that originally attracted me to road bikes, was that (without being s3xual) the power harnessed between your legs, you grip the tank with your knees and just take off...

But now that I'm on a bike, I also enjoy hanging out on a looong sweeper sitting at 100 or so... or short quick, left-right-left's (esp on a 250 ;) )

And lane splitting :grin:

10. For me, it's like an explosion of the mind. :cool:

11. For me, it's like an explosion of the mind. :cool:

12. For me, it's like an explosion of the mind. :cool:

13. 36 mm carbies, the 34 mm versions are just to damn tight and I can't fit.

Fuel injection dosn't suck like carbys.

I love my bike long time, will share for 5 dolla.

14. That's one for me, too.

I also love cornering, which is good, because there's so many roundabouts on my way to work.

The purest pleasure is having just me, the road and the feel of the bike below me. It's pushing myself and the bike to new limits, testing the edges of what we can do together. It's not having to worry about the prats ahead/behind/beside me. It's not being judged for who I am.

That's the best I can sum it up.

15. i like the fact you can chose so much.
    to go fast or slow.
    sit in trafic or lanesplit ( a fav).
    hit those tight twisties like there is no tomorrow.
    or cruise gently taking in the smells and conditions of all that is around you.
    easy overtaking.
    being that it is generally jsut you and the bike which offers a lot of peace and relaxation.
    group ride comradeship.
    the chance of a new week end adventure every day.

16. i like the fact you can chose so much.
    to go fast or slow.
    sit in trafic or lanesplit ( a fav).
    hit those tight twisties like there is no tomorrow.
    or cruise gently taking in the smells and conditions of all that is around you.
    easy overtaking.
    being that it is generally jsut you and the bike which offers a lot of peace and relaxation.
    group ride comradeship.
    the chance of a new 'week end adventure' every day.

17. Those occasional magic times when I become at one with the machine. Climbing a tight mountain road. No conscious awareness of the bike's controls, Just feeling contact with the road as if the tyres' contact patches were the soles of my feet, and the road unwinding before me as if it were obeying my unspoken desires.

It doesn't happen every time, but when it does it's better than sex. (Other times it's only nearly as good.)

18. Options

and

G forces

19. having a itch on your head that you just cant scratch!... thats the worst.
    But the bet bit probably riding with mates and friendly fellow bikers.

20. The rhythm. The rhythm. The focus. The blur. Silence yet noise. Oh damn, there goes the muffler tinkling down the road where I was 100m ago :LOL: