Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nuffy drivers stops Ambulance

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Jabba, Jul 13, 2014.

1. I don't often rant about drivers, but...

I was riding into work tonight and I could see an ambulance was coming up lights and sirens blaring. I get out of the far right lane to let it past as does everyone else. I pulled back out again, but there is this tard that has slowed right down in front of the ambo! I slow right down to give it space to maybe go around, but other drivers are overtaking it and it can't get by this stopped car. Eventually the car takes off again, but no one is giving this ambo space to overtake this car so it still stuck in the right lane behind this car. It's not until about 500m or so that the car pulls over a lane and the ambo is free to warp speed. I just couldn't believe that happened! Can't believe why no one stopped to give the poor ambo space to get around. I hope the guy they were trying to get to wasn't too serious.

2. I drive an emergency vehicle through traffic every shift, l can tell you this happens every time when l am under lights & siren, some drivers have no idea what they should do, some just stop dead in front of me.
    I used to get pissed off about it, but after all these years l now just expect it to happen on every turnout. Just 2 days ago, l had a car move over to the left for me, then as l was about to pass him/her doing about 100, they decided to pull back in front of me. 'Missed by that much'.
    I suggest, don't panic, slow down and move to the left out of the way. We understand that sometimes people are unable to move because of traffic conditions.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. ^ This, and if you can't move over to the left, get a fcuking move on until you can move over: don't slow the emergency vehicle down any more than absolutely necessary! Some people are just plain fcuking hopeless, and they shouldn't be allowed to drive!
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I've seen Ambo's come up behind people sitting at red lights. If there is only one car in the right lane at a red light, what do the ambo's expect you to do? Normally they go round right? but on at least two occasions I've seen them literally stop behing the car until the car pulls out & left into the intersection to let the Ambo by. Just seems crazy to expect a car to pull into an intersection on a red light. I'll bet if the camera triggers theres no sympathy, not to mention the terrible accident it could cause.
  5. couldn't hear over the doof-doof music playing on their stereo......

you are right, though, and its exactly that lack of spatial awareness and awareness of what's going on around them that leads to many SMIDSY accidents...... grrrrrr
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Yes I've seen that too, and I've seen one driver, who carefully moved in over in front of the lane on his left (technically into the intersection, but not into danger), then get pulled over and booked by a patrol car.
    Law is the the law apparently, even when it's an ass.
  7. I don't know if I could do it (if I was driving, of course!). Purely based on the fact that I don't like taking the risk of being cleaned up from another driver barraling thru the intersection that hasn't seen/heard the light & siren...it happens at just about every intersection when an emergence vehicle wants to get thru.

It's a tough one & I'd really like to know. I've been close, like 3 cars behind, but I don't want to be the poor bugger thats gotta make the decision (apart from the poor bugger waiting for the ambo, of course!)
  8. Dobbo's given you the answer - the ambos don't expect you to put yourself (and others) in danger. But common sense will tell you that sometimes the best thing is to move, not stand still.

What everyone else should do is help (where possible) to provide an escape route for the trapped vehicles so as to clear the way.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Wow, that is news to me. We got taught to always give way to an emergency vehicle that has lights and sirens on. If that means entering an intersection through a red light, then so be it. I did not know that in Australia you get fined for helping somebody save someone's life.

I have also never seen so many people oblivious of the fact that they have to let the emergency vehicle through as I have in Australia. That includes pedestrians as well. Don't they have any family/relatives/friends at all that could be the ones the ambo is attending to? Does it not occur to them that the few vital seconds needed to rescue the patient could have been stolen by their own inability to move out of the way?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. If drivers were as aware of their surroundings as the should be, they would rarely hold the emergency vehicles up, because they would have already taken the action needed to let the emergency vehicle through without any delays. Of course, there are exceptions, like extremely heavy traffic, but more often than not, there's something that can be done to let them through.
  11. The number of times I've seen drivers be completely unaware of big red fire trucks (at the lights near your work @dobbo@dobbo) is truly staggering and makes a mockery of Hi Viz clothing for motorcyclists.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Respectfully I disagree. I'd be more than happy to move out of the way if I was that vehicle - after checking to make sure that it's clear. (Obviously you wouldn't pull out into an intersection in front of the path of oncoming traffic), but there are ways to do this. Pitty it's not talked about in driving tests.

In fact, the ambulance is my #1 vehicle that I will do everything reasonable and safe that I can to get out of it's way.

As for a fine - It was my understanding that a letter explaining would get you off the hook - and if I was pulled over for a cop on this, I'd take up the line, as well as to court, and if I had to - well, I'd prefer to pay a filtering fine rather than potentially put myself at risk, and I'd prefer to pay a fine than potentially put someone else's life on the line too if that's what it comes to.
  13. When l drive under siren, l try to line myself up with the lane with the least amount of traffic (at lights), usually the right lane, especially if there is a designated right turn lane, as this lane will be the first to move.

I have seen cars, creep into the intersection, so as to clear the lane. If they were to get a redlight camera ticket, l would ask to be let off, because if they check there records an emergency vehicle will get the same ticket about 3 seconds later.

The truck l drive weighs 26 tonne, and can be difficult to manoeuvre between cars and to pull up suddenly. We have set protocols/rules that we must follow when under siren, forward thinking is a major part.
    We can drive over the centre island/line and slowly drive on the opposite side of the road ( into oncoming traffic); however, this comes with huge risk and not something l like to do.

For other road users, just use commonsense.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. In your state, you are not expected to, nor permitted by any road rule to enter into an intersection on a red light (Titus #8 ). If you do, you are liable to penalties (Titus #6).

In Queensland on the other hand, motorists may drive onto the wrong side of the road or drive through a red traffic light to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle if it is safe to do so. If that driver has an accident as a result, the person can be held accountable.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Could you clarify the underlined bit for me Justus?

16. Sorry gunissan. You (the driver) are allowed to drive through a red light or on the wrong side of the road in order to make way for an approaching emergency vehicle, but only if it is safe for you to do so.

If in driving through the red light or on the wrong side of the road, you have or cause an accident, you will be liable for the damage caused.

17. I just have to repeat and clarify this part because I still can't believe it happened. The car slowed and eventually stopped (for at least 30 seconds) directly in front of the ambulance as it was coming up behind in the right hand lane on a freeway... Even if they mistook it for police, a normal person would never stop in the right lane on a freeway. That ambo would have been held up for a for a few minutes at least I'd say.

Now I really am not a racist or sexist person, but when I rode passed and checked out the driver to give them The Dreaded Glare Of Annoyance +2 I wasn't surprised by who was behind the wheel.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks for the clearing that up for me Justus, appreciated.

Your other point, about Queensland (but not Victoria) allowing drivers to , apparently, break traffic rules (or laws?) in order to facilitate the passage of an emergency vehicle interests me. Can you point out any other anomalies between states re emergency vehicle passage? I'm curious.
  19. What do you expect a driver to do Dobbo, if you're 'stuck' behind x1 car at a red light? Do you expect them to move forward into the intersection or exercise your right & training to cross over to the otherside of the road & go around? You see, when people hear sirens etc they're looking for flashing lighs etc...not another car that's moved into the intersection. I'm not trying to sound selfish or obtrusive but I genuinely am interested to hear from someone who actually has to deal with this. To me, it's expecting common 'mum & dad' citizens (elderly, maybe even with kids in their car?) to put themselves in high danger of moving into an unpredictable intersection with a very high risk of exposing themselves & others to detrimental consequences.
  20. A few times in the past, I have been on the bike, at "pole position" stopped at a red light, when there has been an ambulance coming up from behind.

Where I could, and most intersections have enough room for a bike to go over the stop line without becoming a danger, I've pulled forward and to the side of the lane, stopped, and pointed at the ambo, to try and help out those dumb,deaf and blind car drivers.
    • Like Like x 1