Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] When can I carry a pillion passenger?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by arithon, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I always thought the rule was "12 months after you get your full license, you can start to carry a pillion passenger".

BUT... looking up the December 2007 motorcycle riders handbook on the rta website, I found this:

Before you carry passengers you must have held a motorcycle riders’ licence for at least 12 months (not including a learner rider licence). Learner and Provisional P1 riders cannot carry passengers.

I'm confused. It says that a learner rider license does not count towards the 12 months you need to hold a license for. Ok, but that statement implies that other licenses (i.e. a provisional license) does count towards those 12 months (even if you cannot carry a pillion while on P's).

Also, throughout the handbook, the term "riders license" seems generic. If they want to refer to a specific type of license, they will say "learners license", "provisional license", "full license". So I'm fairly certain that when they say "riders license" there, they don't specifically refer to a full license.

All I can conclude from that statement in the handbook is that if I hold my provisional license for the minimum 12 months and then immediately go to the rta and upgrade it to a full license, I can carry a pillion straight away (btw - that upgrade date for me is this Friday).

Have the rules around this changed?

Thanks for any info anyone can give.
  2. To clear up - when you get your full license you can take pillions, UNLESS you do the over 30 thing - in which case you get your fulls when you pass Ps, but can't drink or take pillions for 12 months.
  3. Yes - having a Learner's Permit doesn't count as holding a license, but Provisional and Full licenses do.

What phizog said. :)
  4. Thanks for the confirmation. Appreciate it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.