Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] What (not) to tell the Police?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by krabi, May 17, 2009.

1. Hey Folks,
    6 months ago I had a fall off the bike did not collect anyone blah blah blah. Ended up taking myself to hospital as my head and neck hurt bad and as a matter of course they had to take a blood sample to check if I was under the influence of something. Apparently, any person involved in an accident that is on a NSW public road has to go through this. Now, at the time I did not report the accident to the police and did all the insurance stuff. Thought it was all settled. Get a knock on the door today and a police officer was standing there. Now in my area it usually means that they were interested in if I saw anything, but today it was for me. He had a letter showing that my blood sample ended up negative, but he was concerned that there was no record of the accident to begin with. I pleaded ignorance as my last accident was 20 years ago. I asked whether I was getting a ticket? He was unsure as he was not highway patrol and as he was responsible for my case he has been nice enough to give me to Thursday to go see him to fill in a report and "get my story" in order for the official police report. He said was there anything like an oil patch or something that might of got me in the mess? :wink: So, my question: What don't I say to avoid the neg driving ticket? Here is my post from back then on what happened Prang Post

2. The bike fell over stationary?
  3. Swerved to miss a roo. I hear the roo's are really bad out your way.
  4. Well, for a start.... Don't tell them about the part where you said it was your fault for following too close! :LOL:

NSW seems to have a policy where they can scam a few hundred extra tax dollors by fining anyone who crashes regardless of the reason so you're probably going to get a ticket anyway... (unless you say you pulled over for smolke and a Prelude smashed into you and your parked bike).

Perhaps you could say the Prelude cut you of and immediately hit the brakes which didn't give you time to increase your buffer and left you unable to see an oily patch of road.

Or you could just tell it like it is and see if they have enough deceny to recognise that you've learned a lesson and make that mistake again. This is probably the stupidist choice but I'd go for honesty any day. :)
  5. Simple! It happened in your driveway, NOT on a public road.
  6. Sorry, the 'roo' defence doesn't cut it. Ask Haggis, he got cleaned up by a roo and spent time unconscious and in hospital and the wallopers STILL booked him for neg driving....
  7. I'm f$%$ed, aren't I? :(
    Maybe I should not mention I was trying to answer my phone and i spilt my beer and that caused the slippery patch in which I lost control doing 30 over the speed limit.
  8. As much as I believe honesty should be the way to go. I'd just tell them you hit an oil patch. 6 months later it isn't going to be there for them to dispute, and quite frankly this cop just wants to close the file.

I had an off a number of years ago and the cops told me what happened even though that wasn't what happened. I just nodded my head and agreed. No problem :grin:
  9. i like this one. its simple, doesnt involve elaboration or adjustment. wasnt looking as you went down the driveway and hit oil patch left by your car.
  10. how does oil differ from a roo? you're still not riding to the conditions, thus responsible and negligent in the eyes of the law.

driveway ftw!
  11. You did receive a head injury. Do you even remember the accident at all? :wink:
  12. you pulled over.
    you parked your bike.
    walked away
    went for a wiz
    and fell down a cliff
    came back and your bike was knocked over.

who's guna dispute it
  13. :rofl:

I'm gonna try this, you guys ready to post bail?
  14. only serious thing to be cautious of if giving a bit of a story to avoid a neg driving charge is, can the police officer check what you told the insurance company in terms of where and why. And if he can would any cross reference lead to a bigger charge of some sort like a false and misleading report to police?
  15. That's why I want to be careful, and hence the title of this thread "Don't" say.
    I might try this:
    I went around a bend 60 in an 80 zone, hit the brakes after a truck swerved in to our lane, car in front and myself both locked up, road was slippery from some loose gravel I ended up on the ground.
    Then I went for a wiz fell down a cliff...
  16. "Fill in a Police report"????

Pull the other one; you can't get them to come round to your house if you get burgled, when a crime HAS been committed.....

I hate to say but now they're interested unless someone higher up tells them there's more important fish to fry, they'll probably pursue this to its (ridiculous) end :roll:.
  17. For bikes: an accident does not need to be reported to the police if the motorcycle is rideable from the scene.

The accident can even be your fault with another vehicle involved! But as long as you tell the police the matter will be settled privately, the bike is rideable, and you decline to report it - they should be happy enough with that.

Note: even if you have an excuse like a kangaroo hit you, or there was oil on the road, or you only invited ONE footballer on the back of your bike with you but 6 jumped on anyway :arrow: they can still give you a neg driving fine if your bike was not able to be ridden from the scene.

Your mistake: telling the hospital you had a vehicle accident on a public road.
    By doing that, you put yourself in THE SYSTEM.

We must always try to avoid THE SYSTEM, because THE SYSTEM is not about helping us - it is about kicking you while you're down.

I would ring this police officer back, and ask him if hypothetically you claiming your motorcycle was rideable from the scene, no other vehicles involved, trip to hospital was because you banged your head on a door-frame and you only mentioned the bike accident to give them an accurate medical history to assist their diagnosis; gets you off the hook.

For the rest of us, never be afraid to ask "Why?" !
    When you go to hospital and they ask for your license number or the location where something happened, ask "Why do I need to provide that?"
    Sometimes you will discover that they don't need that information from you. Sometimes you will discover that you do not want to give them that information anyway. Always: it is good to be informed.
  18. Exceptional advice. Thanks Bonk ;)
  19. Agree about the whole "SYSTEM" thing. Back when I were a learner I had an oopsy and wrenched my knee a beauty. Bike was still rideable, just a few scratches. It was pretty sore, so I went to the hospital to get it x-rayed, and it turned out to be okay. The nurses started to file it as a road accident report and asked if I wanted to proceed down that path of claiming against insurance for hospital expenses and so on. I said "No, it's fine. It's turned out to be nothing serious.". The nurse looked a bit disappointed that I wasn't willing to sign on the dotted line, and in the end said that it would just get processed under standard Medicare and I didn't have to pay a cent, or do any paperwork and/or running around.

The moral of the story is that unless there's witnesses and if there's no need for you to claim for loss of income (ie. not a serious injury), then if anyone asks, any injuries sustained were NOT the result of a road accident, but rather a separate incident that occurred independently but on the same day.
  20. In Victoria it's foolish not to report it. It's very rare that the police are at all interested but it needs to be reported for any potential TAC claims.

You can report it further down the track if there turns out to be unforseen medical implications but it's a lot more of a hassle.

It's very very rare in Victoria (but it has happened) that someone who's had a single-vehicle crash in Victoria has been charged (unless they were going really quickly - and usually not even then).