Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] What makes a pipe road-legal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by RacingTurtles, Sep 2, 2007.

  1. You know I'm no hooligan and I'm all for being responsible, but I must confess I do have a weakness for a nice, authoritative, rumbling exhaust. Which makes me wonder: what makes any given pipe legal for road use in Australia, and in NSW in particular?

    I mean, is it like with helmets - a particular standard that any item sold here has to be certified against and carry a sticker of approval? I imagine not, because I know that unlike helmets, many people order their pipes from overseas...

    Or is there just some dB limit? In which case, how is it enforced in practice?

    I do want to be road legal... btw, this is not for CB250 - I'm thinking about my next bike... pretty soon now!
  2. Not sure but surely a muffler muffles the sound hence it must be under a certain db level to be legal.

    The majority of aftermarket exhausts you see that are called race cans are illegal as they are too loud but it seems that most don't care and bike shops give them a RWC.

    Look at harleys though they don't come that loud from the factory because they wouldn't get ADR approval.
  3. Same thing that makes everything else "legal" of course.

    Don't get caught :grin: .

    Seriously, there's various stuff about markings but, ultimately, the likliehood of getting pinged will depend on the noise level.

    Forget the ADR. That's for new (as opposed to "in service") vehicles.

    Check your local (NSW) vehicle standards regulations (should be available online) which should contain the "in service" decibel limits for various classes of motorcycle.

    That just leaves scrounging the use of a decent noise meter for five minutes to check your own pipe. Noise meters are ball shrinkingly expensive so this might present some difficulty.

    Proper noise testing is quite involved if you want to get an accurate figure (I used to do industrial noise monitoring professionally) but it shouldn't be too hard to get an indicative figure.

    Even simpler, does the noise from your bike really stand out and do you give it heaps where any racket will raise hackles? No? Well you should get away with it then.

    Might be worth hanging on to the stock system just in case though.
  4. Yes - and that's exactly why I'd like to know just where I stand, legally speaking. I wouldn't be concerned about any of that as long as the bike is completely unmodified, but once I get any aftermarket stuff such questions can arise.
  5. Hope this helps....about a third of the way down - see Division 4


    And this I found on another Forum


    Motorcycles manufactured on or after 1 July 1988 must comply with Australian Design Rule (ADR) 39/00.The
    Regulation requires ongoing compliance with ADR 39/00. Motorcycles with the original silencing system should
    have silencing system components that are marked with the trade name or mark of the manufacturer and the
    trade description given by the manufacturer.There should also be a label attached to the motorcycle in a 'readily
    visible position' giving information about noise levels from the exhaust.
    This information label attached to the motorcycle should include:
    * the name of the manufacturer
    * a description of the muffler
    * information about the stationary noise test, including the recorded stationary sound level value and the 50%
    ESMP (engine speed at maximum power) value in the following format:
    Tested…..dB(A) at ……r/min
    The testing procedure must be carried out as described in the Regulation. DEC holds a database of ESMP levels
    for different motorcycles (contact Motor Vehicle Enquiries on (02) 9833 7794).
    If you own a motorcycle manufactured on or after 1 July 1988 that has had a replacement muffler fitted that is
    different to the original muffler (an after-market muffler), then the after-market muffler itself should carry a label
    or markings showing the information given above, plus the model of the motorcycle for which the muffler was
    originally designed.
  6. from my memery it was pre 1984 you could do pritty much what you liked, post 1984 you had to have a stamp either O.E. partnumber or manufature or replacment manufature and bike its tested for or a Db raiting but if you get a aftermatket system thats leagle this will sound better than the stock system.

    what bike and year is it for?
  7. Most likely, a current model of SV650... and because I like to support local business as much as possible, I'd probably go with Staintune (quality!) or Megacycle (they sound good, and I like the price), or Pipemaster (don't know much about them, I'd like to find out more...). But that is another kind of discussion - I posted in this forum because I wanted to explore the legal aspects of using aftermarket pipes... mostly in case if I found some interesting deals overseas.
  8. Lowering the dB limit in NSW ..... oh joy :evil:
  9. well from memery (forry have been living in UK for 10 years) staintune are all legal but check with them. megga cycle i never got allon with, i alwas had to re-jet (EFI tune in your case) and had flat spots. and i'm told pipe master is what used to be formula one. this was a top cheap pipe and was available road legal. check with the manufature or the parts shop. who ever sells it to you is just as liable as you if you ask for a road legal system. but you have to prove that you wanted a road legal system.

    as for the euro companys, i think a euro E mark is still reconised here, like head lights, indicators but you are paying a lot more for the brand name and if you like staintune this is as good if not better than any thing alse on the market. also staintune is a premmer brand in europe where they pay more for this than a remmus system over there.
  10. Re: What makes a pipe road-legal?

    Get in touch with the Motocycle Council of NSW (I can't remember its website). There are currently proposals that have been submitted to the government to change the laws regarding bikes and silencing systems. And from what I've heard it ain't pretty.

    The MCCofNSW had a win recently with regards to what it called the "sticker tax". It was if a muffler didn't have a particular label or sticker affixed to the muffler stating its tested noise emissions then the rider would have his bike put off the road. This was rescinded, and apparently the NSW EPA wasn't all that happy about it.

    The big problem was that out-of-staters, whose mufflers don't require this label (they just hve to come under the 95db limit) would have been booked, even though their bikes may have been quiet, if their mufflers, usually aftermarket cans, didn't have the sticker on it.

    What they want to do is a fair bit more complicated and from what I read, unfair. Some bikes may not comply out of the box, I've been told.

    So, yeah, get in touch with the MCCofNSW.

    Good luck
  11. I had one on my KLR 2004 KLR - and it had the db sticker.

    SOunded nice as it was, but there was an end cap that you could remove with a couple of small allen bolts and you had a very loud exhaust, or leave the end cap (baffle?) in and it must pass regulations.

    Speak to Staintune - they also have a heap of info here - scroll down to 3 (5 of 36)
  12. Please don't quote me in court, but this I believe has been overturned and the infamous sticker is no longer required.

    At the end of the day it is the DB level that will determine if it is legal or not.
  13. assume, you have an exhaust that exceeds the DB level and you get pinged by the police.

    What are the possible consequences? fines? demertis?
  14. Hehhe you talking about the racket coming out of your place sat nights?

  15. OI MR you helped with some of the racket one Sat night :p
  16. Hey all,
    I asked the same question at all the bike shops in Moss Street in Brisbane,
    was doing research for my bike smash insurance stuff,
    general agreement by the mechanics I spoke too,
    94 - 96db.
    But then to contradict this, a new CBR1000 2007 model has a sticker on the frame that says 98db.
    So I think it still depends on the sticker on your frame,
    My 1999 CBR900RR said 96db at 5500rpm,
    so if the muffler fitted, in my case Arrows Special Parts,
    is at or below that number should be ok.

  17. eg. :)

  18. Where can I buy one of those stickers MG? :LOL:

    (Better still- where do you live, what time do you go to bed, and is your bike parked where I can access the sticker? :wink: )

    It would be worth a pretty penny to me right now! Stop me pulling in the clutch and changing up a gear every time I see one of our friendly QLD constabulary on the road! :cool:
  19. i think you will find this is a genuine sticker as in kawasaki, suzuki ect. it might be worth a try.
  20. Every single bike sold in aus in at least the last 10-15 years has such a sitcker or plate attached to it.

    Say yours says 87db.

    If it said something like 93db you'd be happy. For those who dont know, decibels are a logarythmic scale, so the difference between 87 and 93 would be about 4 times as loud perfectly legally.

    Well, apparently perfectly legally anyway. Hmm, might need to get an alternative sticker made up. :D

    Note that the identification bit specifies what model it is, so it's no use having a K495 on a JU-01 for instance. Well, it might pass a cursory glance...

    Remember that the sound testing is performed at half the rpm of your Peak Power output.

    And yes, prior to about mid 1983 there was no maximum noise level.