Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] ---> [WA] P plate

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by macason, Nov 4, 2010.

1. I'm sure I can get this info from WA/NSW respective authorities but I doesnt hurt to get a post out there for future people...

Here is my issue, Ive decided that moving to WA might be a good idea, now being on my P plate with my LAMS bike (ER6nL) i find myself in uncharted territory..

If I move and change to a WA license I fairly certain I will not be able to ride my LAMS bike, but If I move don't change my license can I ride my ER6 in Perth i think and Ill just be on an extended holiday ;) , assuming I stay with my NSW license till my P period is up then duck to Sydney (which I will have to do for work) upgrade my license then get it changed ???

Obviously the MRS on her L will have to redo it, not ride over there, or do her P's before leaving ...

Any thoughts ???

2.  Top
  3. How long 'til your Ps expire? There is a legal requirement to transfer your licence within a certain time limit. Can't remember what it is though. Could be one month, could be three.

You could just suck it up and buy a 250 for the duration. Get a decent one cheap in your LAMS state and you'll be able to unload it here for a hefty profit when you're finished with it.

4. In theory there is a limited amount of time.

When I moved from WA to VIC, I drove on a WA license for 2 years (aged 19-21) as I didn't want to go back on Ps.

5. Already have a 250 for the MRS, I think its 3 months although it was 13 odd years ago I came to Sydney ..... I think I lasted around 1 and a half years before changing to NSW license.... truth be told WA is gonna be a bitta suck it and see so I wouldnt change immediately as I could well be back in NSW sooner or later ..... my biggest issue was ... whilst in WA the MRS and I will want to ride .... she will have to get P's in NSW and already rides a 250 so no real issue ..... my 650 though ... sorta means I dont want to change ... assuming I can get away with it ... Ill stick with my NSW lic. for a short while then change over as per the original post.

6. You could apply for a power exemption on the basis you are moving. WA should be reasonable on something like that.

7. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not unless there have been major changes in Licensing or the Office of Road Safety since I left the Public Service.

Doesn't hurt to ask, though, I s'pose.

8. Hahaha you think that they'll be reasonable? oh you so naive :p

9. If you don't actually change your address details with anyone, just have stuff forwarded, you can claim you are over there for a limited time for work and are not going to change licence/rego. Should be OK if you are pulled over. Its legal to have the bike registered in a different state if you claim it is 'normally garaged' there and are just riding it in WA for a while. More believable in states that are closer together, but you could do it for a while.