Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW - Vote and comments on Singel Seat Rego

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Toecutter, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Hell yeah, every cent counts and never pillion

9 vote(s)
  2. Depends on the cost saving

11 vote(s)
  3. No, not interested - pillion pegs stay

1 vote(s)
  4. Other suggestion

2 vote(s)
  1. NSW - Vote and comments on Single Seat Rego

MCC of NSW have it on their radar to look into this.

What are your thoughts??

QLD has had it for some years. Am not aware of the discount, but one way to reduce the Greenslip Price is to remove the ability to carry pillions.

Note that bikes can be converted back to "dual seat rego" easily, by addition of pillion pegs - so you aren't locked into that mode of bike forever, but the premium will obviously increase
  2. My R1 was a QLD single seater originally

Although when registered in NSW was allowed to carry pillion ( pegs didnt go back on though )

They put a single seat compliance plate on your frame in QLD

Halves the costs of rego and ctp
  3. The wife rides too so why the hell not !!

4. only if it puts price down for singles, not up for doubles.
  5. Thanks for that - wasn't aware cheaper rego too =D>

So what about this compliance plate - what happens if you got back to pillion pegs.....do you leave it on??
  6. The compliance plate stays on the bike frame - it is pop riveted onto the neck area

if you go back to pegs and pillion it stays on but you pay more for rego

however if you get caught or are in an accident with a pillion on the bike and your bike is only registered for single seat then you will get in a lot of trouble

There was no requirement to change the seat as far as I know

but its nothing a rear seat cowl wouldn't fix if you need to remove the passenger seat
  7. This really is a stupid idea.

CTP is insurance for if you hurt someone else, regardless of if they were in your car or not.

QLD, stupid ideas are common place.
  8. It won't make any difference for me as I regularly carry a pillion but for those riders (like my wife) who NEVER carry a pillion it's a bloody good idea, providing there is a real cost saving.
  9. The argument that bikes can injure a third party is largely limited to their own pillion.

So if all was fair there would be a massive difference in CTP price for a solo registration.

But all is not fair. The fact is we pay for the liability of car that injure us when we pay for CTP, even though that will never be publicised by a government or an insurance company.
  10. I love the fact I must pay for the price of a pillion motorcycle yet I'm legally not allowed to carry one on my bike (L's)

It's awesome, I love donating money to the government.
  11. Get used to it dude

12. So you think nobody on their L's has ever had a claim on their CTP ](*,)
  13. Probably not for a pillion.

OT, if I wanted to save money on CTP/rego I'll just buy a 600.
  14. and pay twice the insurance.
  15. is a 70's bmw R65 really more expensive to insure than a '99 cbr250?

Single seat rego (with ctp), just like other insurances, requires you to balance cost against choice of vehicle. And more doesn't always equal, well, more.
  16. ditto .