Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW (VIC,TAS)] Compulsory items to carry on a bike

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by kodiak, Oct 19, 2008.

  1. Hi,

    After spending some time googling the forum, I don't think I've found what I'm looking for (but there lack of might indicate the answer). I hope it's not a double post.

    What do you legally have to carry with you on a bike?

    I hold an overseas license (originally Hungary then UK) and in most of Europe a mix of the following items are required:

    - registration booklet: I was quite surprised when I transferred the bike to my name and all I got is a piece of paper that is hardly durable enough to be carried around on a bike every day. Do you need to carry that or the slip next to the registration plate is enough?

    - "green card"- a check that your bike/car conforms to environmental requirements

    - MOT: proof of the bike having a valid MOT

    - CTP payment receipt for last period

    - stamp duty payment receipt

    - "weight tax" payment receipt

    - bulbs and repair kit to replace bulbs for every light

    - high visibility vest (on certain cat. bikes you need to wear them as well outside the city)

    - approved, unopened first aid kit.

    If you don't have any of these, police can do you, so I'm slightly worried about similar requirements in mainly NSW but also in VIC and TAS if different.


    ps: sorry, I just noticed the lack of subject
  2. The registration label in its own holder, adjacent to the number plate is all that is required. Cops can check if everything is paid from the registration number of vehicle.

    You should have your registratyion papers at home, as required to sell your bike, but you can get a copy from RTA

    Your other items are worthwhile, but not illegal to ride without them.
  3. Cool, thank you for the quick reply.

  4. Crack open a beer mate, things are done a bit differently here! :)
  5. wow u guys must carry lagguge to carry all that crap around with ya.
  6. Vain as it may be, I'm glad high vis vests aren't compulsory here.

    First aid kit sounds good though - prominently displayed might give those good samaritans the tools they need to help you. Hopefully not the amputated parts bag.
  7. if the bike belongs to someone else, it can be in your interests to at least carry their contact details with you. (eg a rental receipt).
  8. Isn't that what panniers are for? Oh, wait, you need to carry the bbq kit and a rack of beer as well..I guess that's a good excuse :)

    I would probably make the first aid kit compulsory. It's a good thing to have in general and by police always asking for it, they can be sure people do. Unfortunately this went a bit over the top in Hungary and became a poor excuse to do you. I mean, say you go camping, you cut your finger, you use some gauze. Fine. Next time you're out there, the cop notices it's not intact and you're done. ~$80-100 fine on the spot.

    The other thing is first aid training (which is, again, compulsory, both theory and practice in Hungary). Obviously it's not gonna make you a medic but maybe enough to avoid causing more trouble and probably keeps your head a bit cooler.

    High vis vest, I wouldn't make it compulsory on a motorcycle, but on a pushbike it should, especially in poorly lit areas. So that at least you can laugh at them when they look even more ridiculous than you with your pannier loaded with rego papers and defibrillator :)
  9. Lol we dont need pannerirs to carry a bbq it goes around the chest while u balance the carton of bear and 2 pizzas on the tank.
  10. What are the rules for riding is Australia with a foreign license? I thought you need either an Australian or an International license to ride on the roads here?
  11. Id remove the tool kit and first aid kit and buy a mobile

    call the ambulance if you have a stack or
    call for roadside assistance in case mechanical probs

    dont think enforcement is the answer, it should be your choice
  12. Current valid licence from your country of origin for up to three months. Any longer than that, unless you're a tourist, requires a local licence. That's for Victoria.

    Dunno what an international licence gets you other than a bit of paper saying that you have one. When I was overseas all I needed was my Vic licence when hiring cars, for example.
  13. Tamarasue: in the case of R(ider) and C(ar) licenses (mind you this doesn't apply to any other cases) additionally to what mjt57 already said, it depends on your visa/situation in Australia. People mainly fall into two groups:

    - permanent resident: you can ride with your overseas license up to three months, after which you need to either pass tests or just get your license approved if it's from a selection of countries. International license is only needed if your license is not in English as all that really is an official translation (in fact, you don't even need a license, you can just have an official translation of it, or in extreme cases a letter from your "home RTA" will suffice)

    - temporary residents (like those on 457): you can ride for ever as long as your visa is valid (but if isn't, you will be shot regardless :) After 6 months, you can apply for an ozzy license, see previous about the process.

    More on the RTA NSW website
    List of recognised countries

    There are tons of informations on the RTA site, including road users handbooks for riders and drivers, it's worth a couple of hours to read through. Unfortunately they don't cover my original question (I guess because it's looked at as being ridiculous anyways?) :)
  14. Thanks for the reply. I'm having some issues with the whole license, number of points thing at the moment, but I also have a USA license, so was just curious if I could use that for a while to tie me over?

    As far as what you need to carry on you in Australia, as far as I know, as long as your bike is registered (and has valid rego sticker on it) and you have a helmet on your head, your good to go.
  15. So you mean you have a local license and the US one as well? The official reply is that your US one should have been punctured/invalidated when you got the Australian one. I have no clue what happens if you still ride on the US one or say you did a transfer for your car license, then went back to the US and got a rider license afterwards.

    One thing I know: if you got points on your overseas license, they don't really do anything about it. Until you get your ozzy replacement, when those points kick in straight away.

    So, there seem to be a connection between your two licenses but as this situation (if this is really your case) shouldn't exist, not sure how it's handled. My guess is that the US one is just invalid.
  16. I'd prefer not to have to have to follow any more pointless bullshit regulation.
  17. An unopened first aid kit is just ridiculous. Meaning it needs to be replaced after a single use means that it's actually discouraging the use of the kit. The last thing you want when you need first aid is someone deciding if it's worth opening up their kit or not. Also means you can't replace things as they go out of date and that you don't really know what's in your kit until you need it and your unable to add useful things that aren't in the kit as standard.
  18. Exactly. Like I poined out earlier, the "unopened" disclosure is just one of those things police need as a handle in case they need some dosh ;)

    It's still a good thing to have overall (although might not be practical on certain type of bikes).

    Thanks god we didn't have to have the triangle as well. They were thinking about it for a while. Next what? An approved fire extinguisher? :)

  19. just go to another state with your USA licence and tell them you never got to getting an australian licence, they will say well you need to do this after 3 months , say you're not familiar with the rules but you now know and thats why you want a transfer licence , they will accept USA as an ok country and give you a full licence on the spot
  20. In VIC you need:
    Number plate, on the rear visible from the rear with a white light on it
    Registration label, can be anywhere on the left side, or left handlebar
    IF you are learner or probationary or international
    you must carry your licence,
    IF you are full licence you must be able to show your licence at the
    police station within 7 days.
    Wear a helmet approved to AS1698 with eye protection
    wear jocks so you don't get arrested for flashing.

    IF you are an overseas rider on an overseas licence, it must be in English
    OR you must carry an approved translation also (eg international licence).

    That's all I think.