Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[NSW] Unregistered Vehicle Permits

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by PatB, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Has anyone any experience of obtaining an Unregistered Vehicle Permit in NSW?

I've spoken to the RTA and have a list of the documentation I need, so that's all OK.

However, what I now realise I don't have is an indication of how long it takes.

When I front up at the Motor Vehicle Registry, will I get the Permit there and then (with a possible long wait on a hard plastic chair) or will it be "Thank you. Now we've got your money you might see the paper in a couple of weeks/months"?

If anyone can share their experience, I'd be grateful.

2. u dont need one if ur just driving to get a blue/pink slip
  3. Doesn't take long, few minutes.

edit: When I got my unreg slip from ACT it was something like $28 for a few days, and $29 for a week - or something like that.
  4. when i had to do this with my car it went something like this:

get pink slip for car ( need to show vehicle is roadworthy)

got to RTA fill out unreg permit form

wait for number to be called

go to counter

pay $$$

they put how long you need it for on the "bright" yellow rego label (i think you can have up to 3 days)

unreg permit includes CTP

(it may have changed , this was 4 years ago)
  5. So it appears to be an on-the-spot thing. Thanks folks. Just what I needed to hear :grin: .

Worth knowing, but I need the UVP to get MrsB's new Ural from Newcastle to the WA border. Claiming I'm going to get it inspected might push the boundaries a bit :wink:.