Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW NSW transport plan- have your say

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Vertical C, Mar 4, 2012.

1. This was part of the MCC newsletter

NSW transport plan

Transport for NSW is now accepting submissions to help in determining the best way to deliver transport services and infrastructure over the next 20 years.

The submissions process is part of a wide consultation program which includes forums with key stakeholders in 10 regions and greater Sydney, regular strategy meetings with advisory groups, one on one consultation, an online survey and social media.

A draft NSW Long Term Transport Master Plan will be released for public comment mid-year, with the final Plan due for completion in November 2012.

Following the release of the NSW Long Term Transport Master Plan, Transport for NSW will develop detailed regional transport plans.

Submissions are due by 27 April 2012.

Your input will help inform the NSW Long Term Transport Master Plan.

There are a number of ways you can have your say:

Send us your feedback via the online feedback form
    Email us at masterplan@transport.nsw.gov.au
    Send a written submission or letter to:
    NSW Long Term Transport Master Plan team

Transport for NSW

GPO Box K659

Haymarket NSW 1240
  2. I will post something when i have a read but "motorcycle" or "motorbike" couldnt be found as a search.

Pesimism growing......
  3. I think it is worth putting up some example text here for people to email in. Edit as you want. I'll submit once a few more people have put in their 2c.

I am pleased to submit my feedback on your discussion paper. I am very surprised that the use of two-wheeled powered vehicles (motorbikes and scooters) is not discussed at length in this document. Whilst many of the issues for motorbikes and scooters are either the same as the issues for cars or are handled by local governments some transport issues need to be addressed at a State Legislative level.

1) Lane sharing between powered and non-powered two-wheeled vehicles should be permitted to ensure full utilization of these transport routes.
    2) Filtering should be clearly defined and "stop-boxes" for motorcylists/scooterist marked at appropriate intersections. The 20/20 rule would formalize the current policing practices in NSW.
    3) Internet enabled security cameras should be provided at train stations to allow commuters to view their bike parked at the train station (this applies to all types of bikes).
    4) Harmonization of parking rules to the progressive standard adopted by Sydney City and Manly councils.

....quote that study about congestion
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Exactly Sue, so i read it, definately shoukd point out the oversight that motorcycles are not ststed as a solution to the car problem.
  5. ...maybe the internet enabled security cameras are not a good idea. It would give lazy crims a chance to see where the good bikes are.
  6. Im surprised that motorcycle hasnt come up. Looking at many Asian countries with large populations, you see many scooter and motorbike riders. Australia cant follow the Netherlands and rely on push bikes to address their congestion problems, our country is just too vast and our workers travel very long distances.............................Ill submit something when I get back home. Many thanks VC..........
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ...add hilly for Sydney.
  8. Goodie, my anecdote about being maimed in part by car-focused 'enforcement' gets to be useful for a submission. Relevance to duty of care ignoring a legal road user's safety~
  9. #9 ibast, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Mine just sent:
    "To whom it may concern,

Upon visiting many major cities in the world it is apparent that motorcycles play a crucial role in moving more people around effectively. This fact has been largely absent from transport planning in Sydney to date. Most major cities in the world (with the exception perhaps of USA) have greater populations in smaller areas and manage to move the population around just as effectively as Sydney or more so. Motorcycles play a key role in this.

This study, brings evidence to this observation:

It should also be noted that a similar policy in Sydney would likely yield even greater results given the lower number of motorcycles at present and the vast number of single occupant cars in Sydney traffic.

Policies that should be implemented to encourage motorist to switch to motorcycle transport include:

• Cheaper total registration. The fact is motorcyclists are still carrying a disproportionate Green slip burden. The intake:payout ratio still far exceeds that of cars. Also, motorcycle registration should be a nominal administration fee only, for medium and smaller capacity motorcycles.

• Cheaper Tolls. Motorcycles create less damage on the roads and allow more vehicles to travel on tollways (despite claims to the contrary by Tolling companies). They should pay lower toll amounts.

• Clarification of Filtering in favour of motorcycles. Filtering removes vehicles from traffic queues and provides additional safety for motorcyclists. At present it is not specifically illegal, but Police are able to apply other laws, that are intended for other purposes, to filtering motorcyclists. Additionally many members of the public falsely assume it is illegal and at times take the law into their own hands. The law should be clarified in favour of bikes, as it has been in Britain. This provides safety and encouragement for other road users to switch to motorcycles.

• Footpath parking. This works well in Melbourne and offers no hindrance or danger to pedestrian traffic. It solves parking congestion problems and encourages more people to use motorcycles.

• Bus Lanes. NSW must be commended for allowing motorcycles in Bus Lanes. It is disappointing however to see city planners implementing Bus Only lanes when a Bus Lane would suffice. These Bus Only lanes should be reviewed. The Bus only Lane on the M2 should be reviewed, in particular, as is accepts all Bus Lane vehicles except motorcycles.
    • Parts costs. Motorcycle parts are exceptionally expensive. Some of this can be explained away in economies of scale, but mostly the additional cost is due to the resellers having a market monopoly. This needs to be regulated.

• Positive image. A positive image campaign should be undertaken to improve the image of motorcycle. Unlike the Victorian TAC campaign, image and safety can be improved simultaneously ([media=youtube]AKqZfbH8WNU[/media]).

As noted above, motorcycles must play an important part in the transport mix of any international city as the population increases. With the right approach this can bring about better traffic flow, more parking opportunites and improved safety.

• Like Like x 2
  10. just build a metro and improve the trains, thats a successful solution in alot of places in the world. When public transport is faster and more convenient than driving there will naturally be less cars on the road. its just too bad the Australian government is too poor to afford this, which is not entirely their fault because of the population density.

more motorbikes without a mass transit system will eventually turn into crap, refer to the situation in Jakarta.
  11. Feel free to steal pages from TonyE's 2005/6 paper and more recently VMC Vic RSC inquiry and NTC submissions with respect to the benefits of filtering. Some very valuable references quoted in all three papers.
    • Like Like x 1