Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD NSW to QLD licence

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by jamyca54, Jan 15, 2015.

  1. Hi guys don't know if this has been answered or not.
    But I currently have my open car licence and I have my motorcycle provisional p1 licence (red p's) and are due to get my provisional p2 licence in April in NSW

    moving to qld in next week and was wondering what the process is. Will I receive my open R licence straight away or will I have to have my RE licence until April and then do the Q ride to receive my open R licence?
  2. Don't know for certain, but my guess is that your bike licence will convert to an RE licence. If you have had your licence for more than 12 months, you may be able to do Q Ride for your R licence. You would need to check with TMR as rules for licencing are completely different between both states so there is no telling how they will interpret your licence.
  3. You need to check with Queensland Roads (or whatever they are called) and be persistent.

    My son got posted to Enoggera (ARA). He had a full NSW motorcycle licence but no drivers licence. It took him months to convince the QLD authority that in NSW in 2007 you only had to spend 12 months on P's then full licence so it was possible for a 19yr old to have a full licence. QLD regulations state that you have to have a drivers licence before you can get a riders licence, so my son confused them.
  4. ok thanks guys. Called TMR and they didnt really know either. they said it will be decided when i come in and they get my licence details