Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

(NSW) Speed cameras offences now check rego

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by waedwe, Oct 9, 2009.

1. If you are caught by a speed camera in nsw now they are going to run your number plate to check if you are registered and insured, not a automatic number plate recognition system but, you have to be caught speeding for them to check
    http://www.gleninnesexaminer.com.au...oon-to-catch-unlicenced-vehicles/1641604.aspx

2. Big Brother is watching. :eek:hno:

3. The noose just keeps getting tighter.
    The again.. if you're caught with no reg, serves you right! If the rest of us gotta pay friggen reg, so should you :p

4. They weren't already doing that?!??

Damn, could have driven my own vehicles without a license that whole time...

5. I always thought they checked registration when they went back to there car and checked licence details.
    Certainly from listening with a scanner years ago they were doing that.

6. +1.
    "This car caught speeding here is unregistered. Do you think someone was driving it illegally?"
    "Nah surely not, just another bloody glitch in the matrix probably."
    "You would think those damn coders would make sure their pointers work before they compile wouldn't you."

guess those unregistered drivers will have to remember not to speed past the speed camera, which lucky for them, is marked with three friggen huge soigns (not paying homage to boondock saints at all). Geeze, glad I dont have that task placed on me. not sure I could manage the stress.

I think the article is talking about fixed speed camera's not police units.

Soon the cameras will also be performing criminal history and wanted list checks on speeders as well.

7. So if you were speeding , and a fixed camera took the photo, obviously they would need to check the registration details from the photo, to then cross match to a registered owner, who they would send a fine to.

If the vehicle is unregistered, how do they know who is the owner of the vehicle. A crackdown using a photo is pointless, especially long after the event.

If they say that there is 65000 unregistered vehicles on the road, would it not be better to have a physical police presence on the road to catch these vehicles.

8. Grange makes a point... If the vehicle is not registered, then who do they fine? The last known owner?

Bah.

9. probably the last owner yeah.

no issues with this. we've been running number plate rego checks for ages. it's bloody effective. i got pinged near the old sub base in kiribilli by a road side camera then flagged down 200 metres down the road by a copper. i'd re-registered online yet it hadn't caught up in the RTA system online and luckily i'd printed off all the paperwork to show the copper. he accepted it and i was on my way. steep fines for unregistered riding......why would you do it?

10. Unregistered and uninsured have always gone together as fines, nothing new there.

You can't pay your rego until the 'greenslip' has been paid and on the RTA's system.

So thats the compulsory 3rd party ins all taken care of !

They have another way now of catching those that shouldn't be on the road in the 1st place......... I have no problem with that at all :D

11. Heh, how funny, especially since (I believe?) they've stopped letting people with outstanding fines register... I reckon it'll eventually get to the point where at least a measurable percentage say "screw it" and just let the fines build up and drive unregistered. Only so much the wallet can take.

12. Yes, speeding/red light fines have previously been sent to the last registered owner of the vehicle.

The SDRO has always been able to identify that a vehicle is unregistered/uninsured but there was no legislation to enforce this using an image. Police can always serve an infringement for this offence in person if they observe the offence occur.

A good use for the existing technology in my opinion.

13. They already do.